Saudi energy minister says Aramco IPO could still happen in 2018

Saudi Arabian Energy Minister Khalid Al-Falih. (Reuters)
Updated 04 April 2018
0

Saudi energy minister says Aramco IPO could still happen in 2018

WASHINGTON: Saudi Arabia may still move forward with an initial public offering (IPO) for state oil company Saudi Aramco on an international exchange such as London or New York in the second half of 2018, despite previously raising doubts it could be delayed to next year, Saudi Energy Minister Khalid Al-Falih said on Thursday.
Falih told Reuters in an interview in Washington the oil giant could be floated either domestically or internationally late this year. New York is still in the running for the IPO but Saudi officials still need to weigh the risk of potential “frivolous lawsuits” in its final decision.
“We have prepared all documentation to be ready to do both domestic and international listings,” Falih said. “We have not closed the door on 2018.” Saudi Arabia is planning to list up to 5 percent of Saudi Aramco in an initial public offering that could value it at up to $2 trillion and make it the world’s biggest oil company by market capitalization.
Falih said officials have prepared documentation to be ready to do both a domestic and an international listing.
Despite comments he made earlier this month that Aramco was too important to risk listing in the United States because of litigation concerns, such as existing lawsuits against rival oil companies for their role in climate change, he said New York is still in the running for the IPO.
“We have concerns obviously Aramco is too big and too valuable and too important and we could be potentially at risk from some frivolous lawsuits and litigation that we have to consider in our final decision,” he said.
Legal challenges could arise from a US law that would allow US victims of militant attacks to sue foreign governments for compensation.


Shareholders of India’s Jet Airways approve debt-for-equity swap

Updated 23 February 2019
0

Shareholders of India’s Jet Airways approve debt-for-equity swap

  • The plan will mean the lenders will have a bigger holding than any other shareholder
  • Currently, Chairman Naresh Goyal owns a 51 percent stake in the company and Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways owns 24 percent

MUMBAI: India’s Jet Airways said late on Friday that its shareholders approved a plan to convert existing debt to equity, paving the way for the troubled company’s lenders to infuse funds and nominate directors to its board.
Jet’s board last week approved a plan by lenders, led by State Bank of India, for an equity infusion, debt restructuring and the sale or sale-and-lease-back of aircraft.
The plan will mean the lenders will have a bigger holding than any other shareholder.
Currently, Chairman Naresh Goyal owns a 51 percent stake in the company and Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways owns 24 percent.
Jet, which had net debt of 72.99 billion rupees ($1.03 billion) as of end-December, has debt payments looming next month, according to rating agency ICRA. It has been unable to pay pilots’ salaries and has outstanding bills to aircraft lessors.
The company, India’s biggest full-service carrier, is struggling with competition from budget rivals, high oil prices and a weaker rupee. The share price took a beating in 2018, losing nearly 70 percent of its value.
In a regulatory filing, Jet said on Friday that 98 percent of its shareholders voted to increase the share capital to 22 billion rupees ($309.8 million) from 2 billion rupees at a special meeting.
Jet, whose financial woes are set against the backdrop of wider aviation industry problems, has been in the red for four straight quarters.