British royals go to Easter service without Harry and Meghan Markle

1 / 4
Britain’s Queen Elizabeth and other members of Britain’s royal family arrive for the annual Easter Sunday service at St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle in Windsor. (Reuters)
2 / 4
Britain's Queen Elizabeth and other members of Britain's royal family arrive for the annual Easter Sunday service at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in Windsor. (Reuters)
3 / 4
Britain's Queen Elizabeth and other members of Britain's royal family arrive for the annual Easter Sunday service at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in Windsor. (Reuters)
4 / 4
Britain's second in line for the throne Prince William and Kate arrive for the annual Easter Sunday service at St George's Chapel at Windsor. (Reuters)
Updated 01 April 2018
0

British royals go to Easter service without Harry and Meghan Markle

LONDON: Queen Elizabeth II, Prince William and his wife, Kate, and other senior British royals celebrated an Easter church service Sunday at the chapel where Prince Harry and American fiancee Meghan Markle will get married in May.
Harry and Markle did not attend the service at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor, England. Palace officials said their weekend plans were private.
Prince Philip, the queen’s husband, also did not attend. The 96-year-old has retired from public duties and been seen less frequently.
Most of the royals walked down the hill from Windsor Castle to the chapel, but the 91-year-old queen arrived by car, wearing a purple fuchsia coatdress and matching hat.
William and Kate also took a car to the chapel, arriving at the church a few minutes late. They emerged without their children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte. Kate is expecting the couple’s third child later this month.
Jack Brooksbank, who is engaged to the queen’s granddaughter Princess Eugenie, made his first Easter appearance with the royal family. Brooksbank and Eugenie, the daughter of Princess Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, plan to wed in October.


Weinstein in search of a lawyer as trial approaches

Updated 19 min 26 sec ago
0

Weinstein in search of a lawyer as trial approaches

  • He is accused of harassment by more than 80 women
  • Weinstein’s first lawyer withdrew from the case in January

NEW YORK: The main lawyer for Harvey Weinstein has asked a judge to be removed from the case, leaving the disgraced movie mogul without counsel as his sexual assault trial approaches in September.
Weinstein has been charged over the alleged assaults of two women — a rape in 2013 and an incident of forced oral sex in 2006. He faces life in prison if convicted, and is also accused of sexual misconduct with dozens of other women.
Weinstein’s first lawyer, Benjamin Braufman, withdrew in January after which Weinstein hired two other high-profile attorneys, Ronald Sullivan and Jose Baez.
Sullivan, who also teaches at Harvard, pulled out in May after coming under fierce criticism on campus for defending the man seen as giving rise to the #MeToo movement.
Once one of the most powerful men in Hollywood, Weinstein has been accused of harassment and assault by more than 80 women, including stars such as Angelina Jolie and Ashley Judd.
Then last week Baez asked to withdraw from the case, New York news outlets reported. He did so in a letter to State Supreme Court Justice James Burke, who is overseeing the case.
“First, Mr. Weinstein has engaged in behavior that makes this representation unreasonably difficult to carry out effectively and has insisted upon taking actions with which I have fundamental disagreements,” Baez wrote.
“For example, he has engaged outside counsel to communicate with myself and my co-counsel and has decided to have another attorney threaten legal action against this firm,” Baez said, adding that since May 15 or earlier Weinstein has known that Baez probably could not stay with the case.
Neither Baez, nor a spokesman for Weinstein nor the Manhattan prosecutor’s office responded to AFP’s requests for comment.
No hearing is scheduled until September 9, when jury selection is scheduled to begin in a trial that promises to be a media sensation.
It is not clear if the trial might be postponed because of Weinstein’s lawyer problems.