Human Rights Watch slams ‘unlawful’ Houthi attacks on Saudi Arabia

A photo distributed by the Houthi Military Media Unit shows the launch by Houthi forces of a ballistic missile aimed at Saudi Arabia March 25, 2018. (Houthi Military Media Unit/Handout via Reuters)
Updated 03 April 2018
0

Human Rights Watch slams ‘unlawful’ Houthi attacks on Saudi Arabia

JEDDAH: Yemen’s Houthi rebels have violated international laws of war in their latest missile attacks on Saudi Arabia, which killed an Egyptian laborer on March 25, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Monday.
Once again on Monday, the Houthis tried to target Saudi territories by launching a ballistic missile.
The spokesman for the Arab coalition, Col. Turki Al-Malki, on Monday said the air defense forces of the alliance spotted a missile launched by the Iranian-backed Houthis from Saada in Yemen, reported SPA.
Al-Malki said that the missile was heading toward the town of Dhahran Al-Janoub, deliberately targeting civilian populated areas, but it fell inside Yemeni territories at a distance of about 1.75km from southern Saudi borders.
Last month, the Iranian-backed militia fired seven ballistic missiles into Saudi Arabia.
Saudi authorities said their defenses intercepted all seven, but falling debris from one of the missiles killed a migrant worker in the capital Riyadh.
HRW said the missile attacks “violated the laws of war” as they were fired “indiscriminately at populated areas,” calling on the Houthis to cease their attacks.
Over the weekend, Saudi air defenses intercepted another Houthi missile targeting the southern city of Najran.
“The Houthis should immediately stop their indiscriminate missile attacks on populated areas of Saudi Arabia,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at HRW.


Turkey, Iran carried out joint operation against Kurdish militants

Turkey’s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu, above, said the operations will be on the eastern Turkish border. (AFP/File)
Updated 18 March 2019
0

Turkey, Iran carried out joint operation against Kurdish militants

  • Turkish Interior Minister said they will reveal the results of the operation
  • Turkish military carried out a number of arrests of alleged PKK members in Turkey

ANKARA: Turkey and Iran carried out a joint operation against militants from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) on Monday, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said according to state-owned media.
“We started carrying out an operation with Iran against the PKK on our eastern border this morning (and) will announce the result,” news agency Anadolu quoted Solyu as saying. State broadcaster TRT Haber also cited him commenting on the operation.
Turkey’s military regularly carries out air strikes against PKK militants in northern Iraq and has carried out operations to arrest alleged members of the group in Turkey. The PKK is deemed a terrorist group by Turkey, the United States and European Union.