Novak Djokovic finds form on return in Monte Carlo

Updated 16 April 2018
0

Novak Djokovic finds form on return in Monte Carlo

  • Serb returns to courts after early exits at both Indian Wells and Miami
  • Former world No.1 has slipped to No. 13 in the world rankings

Former world No.1 Novak Djokovic showed signs of rediscovering his form with a dominant 6-0 6-1 victory over Dusan Lajovic in the opening round of the Monte Carlo Masters on Monday.
Djokovic’s start of the season was disrupted by an elbow surgery, and has since suffered defeats in consecutive opening matches at Indian Wells and Miami.
But there were no signs of his recent struggles as he kickstarted his claycourt campaign in style to record a victory over fellow Serb Lajovic in just 57 minutes.
Djokovic, a two-time winner at Monte Carlo, dropped just eight points as he wrapped up the first set with his opponent well off the pace.
Lajovic, ranked 93 in the world, offered resistance in the second set to level at 1-1 but failed to capitalize on a break point as the 12-time grand slam winner roared back to book a second round meeting with Borna Coric of Croatia.
Earlier in the day, Japan’s Kei Nishikori came back from a set down to see off Czech 12th seed Tomas Berdych 4-6 6-2 6-1 and reach the second round.
Nishikori, who missed a large part of last season with a wrist injury, started the season in the Challenger Tour events before reaching the second round at Miami.
He was playing close to his best tennis despite calling for a medical timeout for his troublesome wrist.
“It’s not great but first match on clay, you know, I’m expecting little soreness,” Nishikori said.
“Hopefully I have a day off tomorrow. If I have to play tomorrow, I got to be ready tonight.”
The 28-year-old, who is making his first Monte Carlo appearance since 2012, will face Russian Daniil Medvedev in the next round.
World No. 51 Jared Donaldson confronted an umpire after disagreeing with a call made in his first-round defeat by last-year’s finalist Albert Ramos-Vinolas.
While 6-3, 3-2 down, the 21-year-old American became outraged when a serve by the Spaniard was called in by Arnaud Gabas when he believed it was out.
Donaldson eventually lost 6-3 6-3 and apologized to Ramos-Vinolas but refused to shake Gabas’ hand.


Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain under investigation once again over financial fair play rules

Updated 58 sec ago
0

Qatar-owned Paris Saint-Germain under investigation once again over financial fair play rules

  • French champions again in the spotlight over possible financial fair play irregularities.
  • In June, UEFA’s Club Financial Control Body closed its investigation only to re-open it just a month later.

PARIS: UEFA said on Monday it had ordered accusations that Paris Saint-Germain has broken its financial fair play rules to be referred to its financial unit “for further investigation.”
European football’s governing body initially opened an investigation into the Qatari-owned club’s spending in September 2017 under pressure from some of Europe’s biggest clubs after the French club signed Brazilian midfielder Neymar for a world-record €222 million ($261 million).
Within weeks the club had also agreed a deal to sign teenage striker Kylian Mbappe from Monaco for €180 million.
In June, UEFA’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) closed its investigation only to re-open it just a month later.
UEFA said on Monday the case had now been referred “back to the CFCB Investigatory Chamber for further investigation.”