China admits reporting two major quakes which never happened

A woman walks through a derelict section of the old town in Kashgar, Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region, China, in this March 23, 2017. China’s earthquake administration has admitted reporting two earthquakes that never happened, including one in Xinjiang. (REUTERS file photo)
Updated 20 April 2018
0

China admits reporting two major quakes which never happened

  • Earthquake monitor reported that two 6.5 magnitude quakes happened just 10 seconds apart at opposite ends of the country on April 19, 2018
  • Administration says they were holding an emergency response exercise and mock quakes were accidentally leaked 

BEIJING: China’s earthquake administration said on Friday that it had accidentally reported two major quakes which in fact had never happened, saying they were drills which had been unintentionally released to the public.
Late on Thursday, the administration said on its website there had been two 6.5 magnitude quakes just 10 seconds apart at opposite ends of the country — in the far western region of Xinjiang and in the southwestern province of Yunnan.
The information stayed on its website for at least an hour, though did not appear on its microblog, which is how many people in China first learn of quakes.
In a statement on its website, the administration said they had in fact been holding an emergency response exercise.
“An accidental leak of the quake drill was picked up by the media and caused a misunderstanding,” it said. “After this happened, our administration immediately organized relevant departments to delete the inaccurate information.”
China is a seismically active country frequently hit by major earthquakes.
A decade ago a 7.9 magnitude quake rocked the southwestern province of Sichuan, killing almost 70,000 people.


 


2 shot at Oklahoma restaurant; suspect dead

Updated 41 min 17 sec ago
0

2 shot at Oklahoma restaurant; suspect dead

  • Police say the shooting appeared to be a random act.
  • A handgun-carrying civilian in the parking lot averted a possible slaughter by shooting the gunman dead, police said

OKLAHOMA CITY: A man armed with a pistol walked into an Oklahoma City restaurant at the dinner hour Thursday and opened fire, wounding two customers, before being shot dead by a handgun-carrying civilian in the parking lot, police said.
The shooting happened about 6:30 p.m. at Louie’s On The Lake, a restaurant on Lake Hefner in the Oklahoma capital.
A woman and a female juvenile were undergoing surgery for gunshot wounds but apparently “are going to survive,” said Capt. Bo Matthews, a police spokesman. A man suffered a broken arm while trying to escape the shooting.
A family member told KOCO-TV that her daughter and 12-year-old granddaughter were shot while entering the restaurant for the girl’s birthday dinner. Authorities have not identified the injured patrons.
The suspect’s identity also was not immediately known, Matthews said. The shooting appeared to be a random act.
“We have no reason to believe this is a terrorist type of incident,” Matthews said. The motive was unclear otherwise, and the onsite investigation was expected to extend into the early morning hours as law enforcement personnel interview about 100 eyewitnesses, he said.