Saudi forum to be held on safety, health at work

Updated 21 April 2018
0

Saudi forum to be held on safety, health at work

  • The two-day forum begins on April 28
  • Papers will be presented at the forum on government legislation and its impact on the reduction of industrial accidents

RIYADH: A two-day national forum in Saudi Arabia for occupational safety and health is to be hosted by the Ministry of Labor and Social Development in Riyadh this month to mark World Day for Safety and Health at Work.

The two-day forum, which begins on April 28, targets occupation safety and health experts, employers and staff in the public, private and non-profit sectors.

It aims to spread awareness of preventing problems to enhance health and safety at work. 

It will look at ways of raising awareness of the importance of health and safety at work, increasing the attractiveness of workplace, spreading a precautionary culture and developing national legislation in the field. AN, Riyadh

Papers will be presented at the forum on government legislation and its impact on the reduction of industrial accidents, safety in medical facilities and how best international practices can play a role in developing the safety regulations at work.

This year, the World Day for Safety and Health at Work, which is also known as the ‘Safe Day’ and the World Day Against Child Labor (WDACL), coincide on April 28 in a joint campaign to improve the safety and health of young workers and end child labor.

The campaign to foster public awareness aims to accelerate action to achieve Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of safe and secure working environments for all workers by 2030, and ending all forms of child labor by 2025.

The 2018 campaign highlights the critical importance of addressing these challenges and improving safety and health for young workers, not only to promote decent employment, but also to combat child labor in different parts of the world.


Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

Updated 21 May 2019
0

Houthis targetted civilian facility in Najran with an explosives-laden drone, says Arab Coalition

  • Houthis also fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah on Monday

RIYADH: Houthi militants had tried to hit a civilian facility in Saudi Arabia's southern border province of Najran with a drone carrying explosives, the Arab Coalition supporting Yemen's legitimate government said on Tuesday.
In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the spokesman of the Saudi-led military coalition said the target was a vital facility.
"The Houthi-backed terrorist militia of Iran continues to carry out acts of terrorism that pose a real threat to regional and international security by targeting civilian objects and civilian facilities, as well as civilian citizens and residents of all nationalities," Al-Maliki said.

The statement did not mention casualties and gave no further details.

Earlier on Monday, Al-Maliki said Houthis fired two ballistic missiles toward the holy city of Makkah and Jeddah but both were shot down by Saudi air defense forces.

The Iran-backed Houthis have fired dozens of missiles at targets in Saudi Arabia, including the capital Riyadh, since the Arab Coalition intervened in 2015 to restore the government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, which was ousted in a Houthi coup.