Japan not satisfied with North Korea pledge, will continue pressure: Defense chief

People watch a TV showing a file footage of North Korea’s missile launch during a news program at the Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, April 21, 2018. (AP)
Updated 21 April 2018
0

Japan not satisfied with North Korea pledge, will continue pressure: Defense chief

TOKYO: Japan is not satisfied with North Korea’s pledge to halt nuclear tests and intercontinental missile launches, its defense minister said on Saturday, warning that Tokyo will continue to put maximum pressure on Pyongyang.
“We can’t be satisfied,” Itsunori Onodera told reporters in Washington, saying North Korea did not mention “abandonment of short-range and medium-range ballistic missiles.”
He added that Japan will not change its policy of putting pressure on Pyongyang for the “ultimate abandonment of weapons of mass destruction, nuclear arms and missiles.”
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said Saturday that his country would halt nuclear tests and intercontinental missile launches, a move welcomed by US President Donald Trump and South Korea.
Pyongyang’s declaration, long sought by Washington, comes less than a week before Kim meets South Korean President Moon Jae-in for a summit, ahead of a much-anticipated encounter with Trump himself.


Frenchman linked to Sarkozy probe faces UK extradition hearing

French-Algerian businessman Alexandre Djouhri arrives at Westminster Magistrates court in central London on January 21, 2019 to attend an extradition hearing. (AFP)
Updated 29 min 15 sec ago
0

Frenchman linked to Sarkozy probe faces UK extradition hearing

  • The 59-year-old businessman was summoned several times by the French courts and arrested at London Heathrow Airport in January 2018 on a European arrest warrant

LONDON: The Franco-Algerian businessman arrested in Britain as part of a probe into France’s former president Nicolas Sarkozy claimed on Monday he was a “victim” of French magistrates at his extradition hearing in London.
Alexandre Djouhri is a key figure in the investigation into the alleged Libyan financing of Sarkozy’s 2007 presidential campaign.
Speaking to AFP outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court, Djouhri said: “I’m a grandfather, I’m a father and they deny me the right to exist, and that’s incredible.”
“It’s not French justice, it’s two magistrates who have made a forgery in writing, and I have absolute proof,” he said, naming two French prosecutors.
After several postponements, the extradition hearing began at 1000 GMT with the French state’s presentation. The court’s decision is expected on Thursday.
Djouhri said he expected judge Vanessa Baraitser to “deliver justice,” claiming he was “not a fugitive.”
The 59-year-old businessman was summoned several times by the French courts and arrested at London Heathrow Airport in January 2018 on a European arrest warrant.
French investigators are examining his alleged involvement in the 2009 sale of a villa in the French Alps for around 10 million euros.
A Libyan investment fund managed by ex-chief of staff Bashir Saleh of Libya’s deposed leader Muammar Qaddafi bought the property at a “very inflated” price, and Djouhri is suspected of being its true owner, a source close to the inquiry has told AFP.
Djouhri was released on bail on health grounds in February after suffering from heart problems.
He underwent surgery earlier this year, a source close to the case previously told AFP.
Djouhri in September called the arrest warrant “fraudulent.”
The businessman must adhere to bail conditions which mean he must stay in his home from 2:00 am to 6:00 am and report to a police station between 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 pm.
He must also remain within the London borough of Kensington and Chelsea and the neighboring City of Westminster district.
Djouhri’s lawyer Mark Summers said the bail conditions were “extremely onerous.”