Three members of the Syrian National Coalition announced their resignations on Wednesday

File photo showing a group photo for the Syrian opposition meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2017. (REUTERS)
Updated 25 April 2018
0

Three members of the Syrian National Coalition announced their resignations on Wednesday

LONDON: Three members of the Syrian National Coalition announced their resignations on Wednesday.

Georges Sabra, Suhair Al-Atasi, and Khaled Khojah said in a statement that they no longer support the work of the coalition, which has pledged to remove the regime of Bashar Assad from power seven years ago.

In his statement, prominent Syrian opposition figure Georges Sabra said: “The coalition has deviated from its main objectives set out after a year from the start of the revolution in 2011.”

Al-Atasi, for her part, stated that the Syrian peace process had evaporated. “The political solution for Syria is currently the Syrian take on the crisis, which calls for Assad’s rehabilitation, and that of war criminals,” she said and added that in her opinion the “political process for a new Syria had ended.”

The resignation of the three prominent members of the Syrian opposition coalition deals another blow to the future of what is left of Syrian opposition groups ahead of another opposition coalition election to be held May 5.


Cyclone Mekenu pummels UNESCO-protected Socotra island, several feared dead, others missing

Updated 53 min 3 sec ago
0

Cyclone Mekenu pummels UNESCO-protected Socotra island, several feared dead, others missing

  • Cyclone Mekunu hit the Yemeni island of Socotra Wednesday night, causing severe flooding and damage to houses
  • 150 families had been evacuated and moved to government facilities after downpours caused houses and streets to flood, trapping people in their homes

SOCOTRA: Hundreds evacuated from their homes after Cyclone Mekunu hit the Yemeni island of Socotra Wednesday night, causing severe flooding and damage to houses, officials said.
Several are feared dead and others reported missing. Four crew members on board a boat that sunk when the storm hit the island in the Arabian Sea were missing, a fisheries ministry official told AFP.
Another official said that 150 families had been evacuated and moved to government facilities after downpours caused houses and streets to flood, trapping people in their homes.
Some residents carrying children tried to escape through the flooded streets, an AFP correspondent said.


In neighboring Oman, authorities announced through the official news agency they were taking “necessary precautions” in case the cyclone hits the Gulf sultanate.

Millions of Yemenis are living in dire conditions as a result of a long-running civil conflict, which since 2015 has pitted a Saudi-led coalition against the Iran-backed Houthi militias.
But Socotra has been spared involvement in the violence, which has claimed nearly 10,000 lives since March 2015 and triggered what the United Nations has called the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.