A Syrian filmmaker says Russian state media have used images from the set of his 2016 movie

File Photo showing a Syrian girl holds an oxygen mask over the face of an infant at a make-shift hospital following a reported gas attack on the rebel-held besieged town of Douma in the eastern Ghouta, near Damascus, Jan 2018. (Reuters)
Updated 25 April 2018
0

A Syrian filmmaker says Russian state media have used images from the set of his 2016 movie

BEIRUT: A Syrian filmmaker says Russian state media have used images from the set of his 2016 movie to claim that video footage from an April 7 suspected poison gas attack in Syria was staged.
Humam Husari describes it as a “desperate and cheap attempt by Russian TV to deny the obvious attack on Douma.”
The April 22 reports by Russia’s Rossiya-1 and Channel One try to back up the Russian and Syrian government narrative that there was no chemical weapons attack in Douma, and that videos purporting to show victims of the attack were faked.
Husari says that in one segment, the reports use behind the scenes images from the set of his short film called “Chemical,” as it was being filmed in the eastern Ghouta region in 2016.
Husari told The Associated Press on Wednesday that his production, which is still a work in progress, is a fictional short drama based on the chemical weapons attack in Ghouta that took place in 2013.


450 militants killed in Egypt Sinai offensive: army

Updated 33 min 51 sec ago
0

450 militants killed in Egypt Sinai offensive: army

  • The military launched a large-scale operation dubbed “Sinai 2018” in February to rid Sinai of Daesh militants
  • Since the start of the campaign, 450 militants were presumed to have been killed “in the north and the center of Sinai"

CAIRO: The Egyptian army said Tuesday that 450 jihadists are estimated to have been killed in its eight-month offensive against the Daesh group in the Sinai Peninsula.
The military launched a large-scale operation dubbed “Sinai 2018” in February to rid Sinai of Daesh militants after an attack on a mosque in the north of the peninsula that killed more than 300 people.
Since the start of the campaign, 450 militants were presumed to have been killed “in the north and the center of Sinai by (soldiers) and police,” army spokesman Tamer Al-Rifai told AFP.
According to army figures, around 30 soldiers have been killed during the operation.
Militants began an insurgency in Egypt after the 2013 ouster of Islamist president Muhammad Mursi, who was forced out by the military in the face of mass protests against his rule and that of his Muslim Brotherhood.
The army on Tuesday rejected criticism from rights groups over the impact on civilians of its campaign in Sinai.
It says that people in the peninsula support its operation and receive humanitarian aid.
“All air strikes are carried out by the army outside residential areas,” Rifai said on Tuesday.
Journalists are barred from going to areas targeted in the Sinai 2018 campaign, although the army organized a rare visit to the North Sinai capital El-Arish in July.
A countrywide state of emergency was imposed in April last year, following two suicide bombings at churches which were claimed by Daesh.
On Tuesday, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi extended the measure by a further three months.