Air France says new strikes put airline’s situation ‘even more at risk’

Air France KLM Chairman and Chief Executive Jean-Marc Janaillac has said it would be hard for him to stay if staff voted against the offer of a 7 percent pay rise over four years. (Reuters)
Updated 26 April 2018
0

Air France says new strikes put airline’s situation ‘even more at risk’

PARIS: The French prime minister and Air France both issued warnings on Thursday over the damage caused to the airline by workers striking over pay, in a dispute that has so far cost Air France some €300 million.
Air France is balloting staff over its offer of a 7 percent pay rise over four years, after unions rejected the proposal as too modest.
Three pilot unions on Thursday called for more strikes over the May 3-8 period — a move condemned by the airline as putting its economic situation “even more at risk.”
Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said Air France faced significant “turbulence” if it lost its battle with unions. The French state holds 17.6 percent of the Air France KLM group.
Air France KLM Chairman and Chief Executive Jean-Marc Janaillac has said it would be hard for him to stay if staff voted against the offer, and he issued an apology to the airline’s customers in a statement on Thursday.
“I have complete faith in the desire of Air France staff to put an end to this destructive situation for our airline,” added Janaillac in his statement.
Philippe said Janaillac had shown “courage” by putting his job on the line but warned that a negative vote could further harm the company.
“If the consultation did not produce the results he hoped for and he took the consequences, everyone should fasten their seat belts because the turbulence will not be minor,” he told Europe 1 radio. “A company that loses its boss in these conditions is not well placed to face the future.”
The industrial action, affecting about 30 percent of Air France flights, has coincided with French railway strikes over the last month, resulting in widespread travel disruption.
SNCF workers have launched a series of protests against reform plans by President Emmanuel Macron’s government, designed to stem the state-owned railway’s losses and cut debt.


China denies setting target to cut US trade surplus

Updated 13 min 24 sec ago
0

China denies setting target to cut US trade surplus

BEIJING: China said Thursday it has not set a target to cut its trade surplus with the US but will seek to increase imports after the two sides stepped back from a potential trade war.
Officials from Beijing were reported to have offered to slash the country’s huge surplus by $200 billion during high-level talks last week — meeting a key Washington demand — by ramping up imports from the US.
That was followed on Monday by President Donald Trump tweeting that China will buy “massive amounts” of additional American agriculture products.
But commerce ministry spokesman Gao Feng denied that any figure was set during negotiations in Washington, which ended with the two countries agreeing to back off imposing tit-for-tat tariffs, though few details were revealed.
“China did not make any commitment on the specific amount of reduction of trade surplus with the US,” Gao told a regular news briefing.
“China will actively encourage companies to increase imports of US commodities and services according to market principles” and its own economic and consumption needs, Gao said.
“The two sides are willing to further strengthen cooperation in fields including agricultural products, energy, medical treatment, high-tech industry and finance.”
Both sides have extended olive branches since the weekend, with China announcing on Tuesday that it will cut auto import tariffs from July 1.
And Trump said his administration could impose a new fine of as much as $1.3 billion on embattled Chinese telecom company ZTE to replace crippling sanctions imposed last month that threatened to put the firm out of business.
However, there are concerns about Sunday’s agreement after Trump said he was “not satisfied” with it.