Several children killed in Afghanistan suicide blast, Daesh claims responsibility

Afghan security forces arrive at the site of a car bomb attack in Kabul on May 31, 2017. (AFP)
Updated 30 April 2018
0

Several children killed in Afghanistan suicide blast, Daesh claims responsibility

  • Kabul chief of police Dawood Amin says the area of Kabul that was targeted includes foreign offices
  • Several people suffering injuries from the blast were being treated at the hospital

KABUL: Daesh has claimed responsibility for the double suicide bombing in Kabul Monday morning that killed 25 people, including several children at a religious school and a number of journalists.

Several others were injured in the blast, including members of the police.
The Afghan affiliate of the militant group, known as Khorasan Province, posted an urgent statement on a Daesh-affiliate website saying two of its “martyrdom seekers” carried out the double bombing on Monday targeting the headquarters of the “renegade” Afghan intelligence services in Kabul.
It says the first militant detonated his explosive vest, forcing members of the intelligence service to head to the area of the explosion. The statement says the second attacker detonated his explosive vest after that.
The statement did not say that journalists were specifically targeted but exaggerated the attacks' death toll.

Kabul chief of police Dawood Amin says the area of Kabul that was targeted includes foreign offices.
Mohammad Mousa Zahir, director of Wazir Akbarkhan Hospital, said several people suffering injuries from the blast were being treated at the hospital.

(With AP)


Pakistan’s top court grants bail to former PM Sharif on medical grounds

Updated 26 March 2019
0

Pakistan’s top court grants bail to former PM Sharif on medical grounds

  • Nawaz Sharif is serving a seven-year sentence imposed last year for failing to disclose his source of income to acquire Al-Azizia Steel Mills

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Supreme Court agreed on Tuesday to release former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on bail for six weeks to receive medical treatment but said he would not be allowed to leave the country.
Sharif is serving a seven-year sentence imposed last year for failing to disclose the source of income that allowed him to acquire the Al-Azizia Steel Mills in Saudi Arabia. He has appealed.
The case was heard by a three-judge panel headed by Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa.
The three-time former premier has been suffering from a heart condition and kidney problems and has been admitted to hospital. A previous bail appeal was rejected last month.
The Supreme Court removed Sharif from office in July 2017 for not disclosing part of a salary drawn from his son’s company and he was later convicted in two separate cases of failing to disclose sources of income.
In one of those cases, over the ownership of upmarket properties in London, the high court granted him bail last September, suspending a 10-year sentence until a final decision on his appeal against the conviction.
The appeal process in both cases is continuing.
Sharif has termed the charges against him politically motivated and accused the military and courts of working together to end his political career and destabilize his Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz party.