EU calls Abbas Holocaust remarks “unacceptable“

Mahmoud Abbas was accused of being a Holocaust denier (AFP)
Updated 02 May 2018

EU calls Abbas Holocaust remarks “unacceptable“

JERUSALEM: The European Union’s foreign service condemned remarks on the Holocaust by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as “unacceptable,” echoing criticism on Wednesday by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
In strikingly blunt language from Brussels, the European External Action Service said in a statement: “The speech Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas delivered on 30 April contained unacceptable remarks concerning the origins of the Holocaust and Israel’s legitimacy.
“Such rhetoric will only play into the hands of those who do not want a two-state solution, which President Abbas has repeatedly advocated.”
Netanyahu called for international condemnation of “anti-Semitism” by Abbas over remarks on Monday in which the Palestinian leader suggested historic persecution of Jews in Europe was caused by their conduct.
The EEAS added: “Antisemitism is not only a threat for Jews but a fundamental menace to our open and liberal societies.
“The European Union remains committed to combat any form of anti-Semitism and any attempt to condone, justify or grossly trivialize the Holocaust.” Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Mahmoud Abbas of anti-Semitism and Holocaust denial on Wednesday after the Palestinian leader suggested in a speech that historic persecution of European Jews had been caused by their conduct.
“It would appear that, once a Holocaust denier, always a Holocaust denier,” Netanyahu said on Twitter. “I call upon the international community to condemn the grave anti-Semitism of Abu Mazen (Abbas), which should have long since passed from this world.”


Marine monitor reports departure of Iran tanker after Gibraltar rejects US demand

Updated 28 min 23 sec ago

Marine monitor reports departure of Iran tanker after Gibraltar rejects US demand

  • Gibraltar authorities have not confirmed the tanker's departure

GIBRALTAR: The Iranian oil tanker at the center of a diplomatic dispute departed from Gibraltar late Sunday after the British overseas territory rejected a US demand to seize the vessel.
According to the monitoring website Marine Traffic, the supertanker which had been detained since July 4 off the coast of Gibraltar lifted anchor Sunday evening and started sailing south.
Authorities in Gibraltar have not confirmed its departure.