Former Dubai and Qatar teacher admits child sex offenses

Dubai teacher William Ball was arrested in the US. (The Indy Channel)
Updated 23 May 2018
0

Former Dubai and Qatar teacher admits child sex offenses

  • American, William Brinson Ball, 39, pleaded guilty to attempting to solicit sex with a minor and possession of child pornography
  • On his arrest on Feb. 15, he was found to have items for the child, as well as condoms and lubricant

DUBAI: A former Dubai and Qatar teacher has admitted child sex offenses at a US court in Florida.
American, William Brinson Ball, 39, pleaded guilty to attempting to solicit sex with a minor and possession of child pornography at a hearing at the US District Court in Tampa on Thursday, May 17.
Ball, who taught music at the Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai and previously at the Qatar Academy in Doha, paid $5,000 to fly to the US in February, where he planned to meet a seven-year-old.
On his arrest on Feb. 15, he was found to have items for the child, as well as condoms and lubricant, an earlier court hearing was told.
Ball, originally from Mississippi, had used the Internet and a mobile phone to lure his victim, prosecutors told the court at an earlier hearing.
When Arab News spoke to his Dubai employer in February, a spokesman for the school said the expat teacher had been recruited through a “reputable [recruitment] agency” and “stringent background checks” had been carried out.

Ball "was suspended with immediate effect following his arrest and shortly thereafter his employment was formally terminated," the spokesman told Arab News.
Both schools also told Arab News at the time that there was no reason to believe Ball had committed similar offenses while in their employment in the Gulf.
Ball will return to court on Aug. 3, 2018 for sentencing.


White House: Trump spoke to Libyan commander Haftar on Monday

Updated 22 min 33 sec ago
0

White House: Trump spoke to Libyan commander Haftar on Monday

WEST PALM BEACH: The White House said on Friday that President Donald Trump spoke by phone on Monday to Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar and discussed "ongoing counterterrorism efforts and the need to achieve peace and stability in Libya."
The statement said Trump "recognized Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources, and the two discussed a shared vision for Libya’s transition to a stable, democratic political system."
On Thursday, mortar bombs crashed down on a suburb of Tripoli, almost hitting a clinic, after two weeks of an offensive by Haftar's eastern troops on the Libyan capital, which is held by an internationally recognized government.