Iranian people will punch US Secretary of State in the mouth: Iranian commander

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks at the Heritage Foundation May 21, 2018 in Washington, DC. Pompeo spoke on the topic of "After the Deal: A New Iran Strategy." (AFP)
Updated 22 May 2018
0

Iranian people will punch US Secretary of State in the mouth: Iranian commander

BEIRUT: A senior Iranian military commander poured scorn on US threats to tighten sanctions on Tuesday, saying the Islamic Republic's people would respond by punching US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in the mouth.
Pompeo on Monday demanded Iran make sweeping changes that would effectively force it to reverse the recent spread of its military and political influence through the Middle East to the shores of the Mediterranean Sea.
"The people of Iran should stand united in the face of this and they will deliver a strong punch to the mouth of the American Secretary of State and anyone who backs them," Ismail Kowsari, the deputy commander of the Sarollah Revolutionary Guards base in Tehran said, according to the Iranian Labour News Agency.
Limiting Iran's missile capabilities was one of the main aims highlighted by Pompeo.
"Who are you and America to tell us to limit the range of ballistic missiles?" Kowsari said, according to ILNA. "History has shown that with the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki America is the top criminal with regard to missiles," he added.
Qassem Soleimani, the head of the branch of the Revolutionary Guards that carries out operations outside Iran's borders, was singled out by Pompeo as a top troublemaker in the Middle East.
Kowsari said that the Iranian people back Soleimani.
"Soleimani is not a single person. The great people of Iran support him," Kowsari said. 


Pentagon suspends August military drills with South Korea

Exercises with other countries in the Pacific will continue. (AFP)
Updated 32 min 48 sec ago
0

Pentagon suspends August military drills with South Korea

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon says it has formally suspended a major military exercise planned for August with South Korea, a much-anticipated move stemming from President Donald Trump’s nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
The announcement Monday says all planning for the exercise has been stopped. Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White says the department has made no decisions on other military exercises with South Korea. Exercises with other countries in the Pacific will continue.
Trump’s abrupt decision to cancel what he called provocative and expensive “war games” appeared to catch US defense officials by surprise last week and ran counter to long-held American arguments that the drills are critical for effective operations with allies. The Pentagon has for years flatly denied North Korean assertions that the exercises are “provocative.”