Bahrain FM: No resolution in sight for Qatar crisis, Qatar blocks goods from quartet

Qatar has issued a ban on all produce from the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt (Shutterstock)
Updated 27 May 2018
0

Bahrain FM: No resolution in sight for Qatar crisis, Qatar blocks goods from quartet

  • Bahrain FM says Qatar has made no effort to resolve the issues that first prompted the boycott
  • Qatar has now issued a ban on all products from UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt

DUBAI: Bahraini Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al-Khalifa said his country sees “no resolution in sight” in the Gulf crisis between Qatar and the four boycotting countries, according to an interview with London-based Arabic international newspaper Alsharq Alawsat.

“The information in our hands today does not indicate any glimmer of hope for a solution now, as the matter does not happen suddenly," he said.

Bahrain's foreign minister said Qatar had prolonged the crisis by taking its case to Western allies, instead of dealing with it inside the Gulf Arab bloc.

“We were expecting from the beginning of the crisis with Qatar that the emir of Qatar would go to Saudi (Arabia) but this did not happen,” Al-Khalifa told the pan-Arab newspaper.

He spoke of Qatar’s lack of abiding by international laws in regards to terrorism.

“This state has put one of its citizens on the terrorism list, and after a few days they attend his son's wedding,” he said, referring to Abdulrahman Al-Nuaimi who was labeled a terrorist by the US government in December 2013, and the UN in September 2014, for providing financial support to terrorist organizations.

Meanwhile Qatar has announced that it will ban products originating from the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Bahrain.

“Products originating from the blockading states, which as a result of the blockade cannot pass the Gulf Cooperation Council Customs Territory, have to undergo proper import inspections and customs procedures,” a Qatari government statement said late on Saturday.

And Qatari national newspaper Al Watan quoted a circular from the Ministry of Economy and Commerce telling traders and shops to stop dealing in products imported from the four countries. It said inspectors would monitor compliance with the policy.

(With Reuters)


Libya’s coast guard recovers five bodies from migrant boat

African migrants rescued from a ship off the coast of Zuwara, about 130 kilometres west of the Libyan capital Tripoli, sit alongside of bodies of others who died, at the dock in the capital's naval base on June 18, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 19 June 2018
0

Libya’s coast guard recovers five bodies from migrant boat

  • Since January, some 10,760 migrants have crossed from Libya to Italy, more than 80 percent less than during the same period last year
  • Since last summer, smuggling networks inside Libya have been disrupted under Italian pressure

TRIPOLI: Libyan coast guards said on Monday they had recovered the bodies of five migrants and picked 191 survivors off the coast west of the capital Tripoli.
Libya’s western coast is the main departure point for migrants trying to reach Europe by the sea, though the number of crossings has dropped sharply since last July.
The five dead migrants were brought back to port in Tripoli on Monday along with 115 survivors from various sub-Saharan African and Arab countries, coast guard officials said.
Their boat was intercepted off Mellitah on Sunday after being damaged by rough seas, according to Ayoub Qassem, a coast guard spokesman.
Another group of 76 migrants was intercepted on Sunday off Zawiya, just west of Tripoli.
Since last summer, smuggling networks inside Libya have been disrupted under Italian pressure and Libya’s EU-backed coast guard has stepped up interceptions, returning more than 7,000 migrants to Libya so far this year.
Since January, some 10,760 migrants have crossed from Libya to Italy, more than 80 percent less than during the same period last year, according to statistics from Italy’s interior ministry.
Last week, crossings in the central Mediterranean were thrown into further uncertainty when Italy’s new government closed its ports to a rescue ship operated by humanitarian organizations that was loaded with more than 600 migrants.
It eventually docked in Spain.