Mohamed Salah could be fit in three weeks, says Liverpool physio

Mohamed Salah had to be substituted before half-time against Real Madrid on Saturday. (Reuters)
Updated 31 May 2018
0

Mohamed Salah could be fit in three weeks, says Liverpool physio

  • Forward could yet play some part at the World Cup
  • 'In principle it will be between three and four weeks,' says Ruben Pons

Egypt forward Mohamed Salah’s shoulder injury will keep him out of action for three to four weeks, Liverpool’s club physio has said, meaning he could miss the World Cup group stage.
The 25-year-old is desperate to play for Egypt in only their third World Cup and their first for 28 years but faces a race against time to be fit for next month’s Group A games.
“He is sad about what happened but is totally focused on recovery, seeing when he can be ready,” physio Ruben Pons told Spanish sports newspaper Marca of the injury to Salah during Liverpool’s Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid.
“In principle it will be between three and four weeks but we will try to reduce those dates, that’s the big goal,” he added.
Egypt begin their World Cup campaign against Uruguay on June 15, before facing hosts Russia on June 19 and Saudi Arabia on June 25, meaning if Salah takes four weeks to recover he could be fit in time for the knockout phase.
On Sunday, Salah posted a message saying: “It was a very tough night, but I’m a fighter. Despite the odds, I’m confident that I’ll be in Russia to make you all proud. Your love and support will give me the strength I need.”
Egypt reached the tournament after Salah scored a 95th minute penalty to help them beat Congo 2-1 in October.
Salah, who scored 44 goals in a sensational first season for Liverpool after joining from AS Roma, was voted Player of the Year by the Football Writers’ Association this month, completing a sweep of England’s individual prizes and becoming the first African player to win the prestigious award.


Egypt footballer Amr Warda banned over sexual harassment claims

Updated 26 June 2019
0

Egypt footballer Amr Warda banned over sexual harassment claims

  • Sexual harassment claims surfaced earlier this week on social media platforms
  • In 2017 a Portuguese club terminated Warda’s contract over claims he sexually harassed the wives of his team-mates

CAIRO: Egypt’s football federation on Wednesday banned midfielder Amr Warda from playing in any further matches at the African Cup of Nations over mounting sexual harassment allegations.
“Amr Warda is banned from the national squad after discussions with the team’s technical and administrative bodies. This is to maintain the discipline and focus of the team,” said the federation in a statement posted on its website.
The sexual harassment claims surfaced earlier this week on social media platforms. Multiple women posted screenshots and testimonies of Warda’s alleged lewd comments.
The Wednesday decision comes hours after another viral clip posted on Twitter by a social media user showed him apparently exposing himself to her. AFP cannot verify the authenticity of the brief video.
“He’s definitely out. We have a match to focus on tonight,” Ihab Leheita, the Egyptian national team’s manager, told AFP, without giving further details.
In 2017, Portuguese football club CD Feriense terminated Warda’s contract over claims that he sexually harassed the wives of two of his team-mates. His tenure lasted only three days and he was transferred to his current Greek club Atromitos.
Egypt are hosting the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations for the fifth time and play DR Congo later Wednesday in their bid to advance from the group stages.
The hosts beat Zimbabwe 1-0 in their opening match, during which Warda took to the field.