US vows UN Security Council veto of proposal on Palestinians

Permanent Observer of Palestine to the United Nations Riyad Mansour speaks to members of the UN security council during an emergency session on Israel-Gaza Conflict at the United Nations headquarters in New York City. (AFP)
Updated 02 June 2018
0

US vows UN Security Council veto of proposal on Palestinians

UNITED NATIONS: The US is vowing to veto an Arab-backed resolution that asks the UN chief to propose measures to ensure “international protection” for Palestinian civilians.
A vote on the measure — which comes after weeks of urgent discussions but no agreement on any action about escalating violence in Gaza — was at one point expected Thursday evening. Then diplomats said it would be delayed and now the council is scheduled to vote at 3:00 p.m. (1900 GMT) on Friday.
The Kuwait-sponsored draft resolution “deplores” and demands a halt to “the use of any excessive, disproportionate and indiscriminate force” by the Israeli military, while it also “deplores the firing of rockets from the Gaza Strip at Israeli civilian areas.”
US Ambassador Nikki Haley lambasted the proposal for discussing “excessive” Israeli force while making no mention of Hamas, which rules the coastal enclave.
“It is a grossly one-sided approach that is morally bankrupt and would only serve to undermine ongoing efforts toward peace between the Israelis and Palestinians,” Haley said in a statement Thursday evening. Israel’s UN ambassador, Danny Danon, also has sharply criticized the proposal.
The Security Council has been deeply divided and paralyzed over dealing with the decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict. After a series of emergency meetings about Gaza — the latest just Wednesday — the UN’s most powerful body so far hasn’t been able to agree even on a press statement.
The draft resolution expresses “grave concern” at the escalation of violence and tensions and the deteriorating situation in the Palestinian territories, especially since the start of a series of mass protests at the Gaza border on March 30.
Over 110 Palestinians were killed and thousands wounded by Israeli military fire. Israel said its troops were defending its border and accused Hamas of trying to attack under the cover of the protest.
Then Hamas and the smaller Islamic Jihad group bombarded southern Israel with rockets and mortars Tuesday, and Israel responded by striking targets throughout Gaza. It was the largest flare-up for violence between the sides since a 2014 war. Hamas said Wednesday it had agreed to a cease-fire with Israel.
The draft resolution calls for urgent steps “to ensure an immediate, durable and fully respected cease-fire.” It asks UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres for a written report within 60 days ways to ensure “the safety, protection and well-being of the Palestinian civilian population under Israeli occupation,” including recommendations about “an international protection mechanism.”
The draft also urges immediate, unimpeded humanitarian access and “tangible steps” toward reconciliation between different Palestinian factions.
At Kuwait’s request, the council has held multiple emergency meetings on the border clashes. Tuesday’s torrent of rockets and mortars prompted the US to call for Wednesday’s meeting, where UN Mideast envoy Nikolay Mladenov said the latest escalation in Gaza was a warning of “how close to the brink of war we are every day.”
Both the US and Kuwaiti ambassadors said their nations had proposed press statements on the Israeli-Palestinian issue that had been blocked in recent weeks.
Israel and Hamas are bitter enemies and have fought three wars since the group seized control of Gaza in 2007.


Yemeni army kills 20 Houthi militants, injures several others in Dhale governate

Updated 18 February 2019
0

Yemeni army kills 20 Houthi militants, injures several others in Dhale governate

  • Yemeni forces advanced towards Al-Mashhad market in Ab governate as the Arab coalition raided Houthi areas
  • The attacks targeted Houthi reinforcements on their way to Nahm front

DUBAI: The Yemeni army killed 20 Houthi militants, including a field commander, in clashes in the southern Dhale governate on Sunday, Saudi state-agency SPA reported.

Yemeni forces advanced towards Al-Mashhad market in Ab governate as the Arab coalition raided Houthi areas, killing several militants and injuring others east of Sanaa.

The attacks targeted Houthi reinforcements on their way to Nahm front, according to civilian reports on Yemeni Minister of Defense’s official website “September Net.”

Meanwhile, Yemeni tribesmen from Hajjah’s Qeshar district destroyed Houthi militia gathering areas in the Darb Al-Maru area.

Field sources revealed that the tribesmen belonged to the Bani Riban tribe, and that they continue to group with other tribes to destroy militia gathering spots across the region.