Visa says over 5 million payments affected by June outage

Payment systems giant Visa said Tuesday that a massive technical glitch earlier this month had affected 5.2 million card transactions. (AFP)
Updated 19 June 2018
0

Visa says over 5 million payments affected by June outage

LONDON: Payment systems giant Visa said Tuesday that a massive technical glitch earlier this month had affected 5.2 million card transactions, almost half of which were in Britain.
Visa, revealing the details in a letter to a British parliamentary committee that is probing the matter, said the “rare” disruption prevented many cardholders form making payments in Europe for 10 hours on Friday June 1.
And the company apologized “unreservedly” for the failure and outlined plans for a compensation scheme.
“Overall, for cards issued both in the UK and elsewhere ... 51.2 million Visa transactions were initiated and sent to Visa’s European systems for processing,” wrote Visa Europe chief executive Charlotte Hogg.
“Of these, 5.2 million failed to process correctly,” she added in the letter to Treasury Select Committee chair Nicky Morgan.
The outage was caused by a “very rare partial failure” of a switch in one of Visa’s data centers, Hogg added. It has since been fixed.
Visa said there were 27.6 million transactions made in the UK during the disruption, of which 2.4 million failed to process properly.
“At its peak, the disruption affected people in the midst of returning home from work, socializing in restaurants and pubs, and doing end-of-day shopping,” Hogg said in the letter published Tuesday.
“We take seriously our important role in supporting financial stability in the UK.
“A disruption to our processing that impacts consumers at any time is unacceptable, let alone during a busy Friday afternoon,” she added.
“We apologize again unreservedly to everyone who was affected by the incident,” Hogg said.
“Visa, together with our financial institution partners, has quickly implemented a compensation program for cardholders.”


China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

Updated 22 September 2018
0

China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

  • A mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned
  • China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods

SHANGHAI: China has canceled upcoming trade talks with the United States and will not send vice-premier Liu He to Washington next week, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources.
The Wall Street Journal said a mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned.
Earlier this week, China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods set to go into effect from Sept. 24.