Saudi Food and Drug Authority stops 75 establishments over violations

1 / 2
File photo showing customers at a cafe in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (AFP)
2 / 2
Infographic showing Saudi Food and Drug Authority inspections data. (SPA)
Updated 20 June 2018
0

Saudi Food and Drug Authority stops 75 establishments over violations

RIYADH: The Saudi Food and Drug Authority has inspected 2698 food establishments during a campaigns that lasted three months to ensure all establishments are committed to highest standard of health and hygene.
The authority’s executive said they had carried 3574 campaigns to inspect 2698 food establishments, according to the Saudi Press Agency.
During the last 3 months, the authority halted the production lines in 75 factories due to violations. It also destroyed 778 tons of food not suitable for consumption, and 43,336 liters of water not suitable for drinking.
The number of food storage establishments and food distribution centers that were inspected during this period has reached 1789, during which SFDA inspectors seized 15.7 tons of violating food products.
SFDA inspectors also investigated 665 factories, and stopped the production lines of 37 of them and seized 778.5 tons of non conforming food products.
The agency also inspected 244 bottled water factories, and has stopped the production line of 38 factories, and seized 43,336 liters of water not suitable for drinking.
The authority referred 12 cases of commercial fraud to the Public Prosecutor’s Office and applied fines and penalties to 45 food establishments.


Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

Updated 5 min ago
0

Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

  • Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict
  • Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition backing the legitimate government in Yemen against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels is committed to reaching a political solution to the conflict, its spokesman confirmed on Monday.

Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths, in an address to the Security Council, had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict.

Al-Maliki explained that a meeting had been held by Yemen’s national economic committee, which included representatives from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, the UK and the US.

During the meeting, several measures were taken to improve the Yemeni economy, Al-Maliki said. He also added that the coalition had facilitated a humanitarian plan for Yemen worth more than $1 billion with contributions from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait.

Regarding Houthi actions in Yemen, Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law.

He said the Houthis had planted mines at a school as well as other areas in and around Hodeidah, and destroyed a mosque in the port city.

Al-Maliki also provided evidence that the Houthis replaced contents of World Food Program packages with TNT explosives.

He added that 200 mines planted by the Houthis had been deactivated in the province of Hajjah, reiterating that the group is still using civilians as human shields and recruiting them to join their ranks.