Iran regime is criminal, suppresses its people and supports terror, says US Secretary of State Pompeo

Photo showing US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo meets with German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen at the US State Department in Washington, DC on June 20, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 22 June 2018
0

Iran regime is criminal, suppresses its people and supports terror, says US Secretary of State Pompeo

  • Top diplomat says Tehran “funds terrorism while Iranians are hungry and in need.”
  • Says Iranians “deserve respect for their human rights.”

LONDON: The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has attacked the Iranian government, calling it a criminal regime that suppresses its people.
In a tweet on his Twitter account Pompeo said the “Tehran regime is criminal and suppresses its citizens and does not respect their rights.”
This regime, he added, “funds terrorism while Iranians are hungry and in need.”
The tweet also stated that “5,000 Iranians were arrested during protests in January; 30 women were put in prison for protesting against wearing the veil; in addition to the imprisonment of Sufis and environmental activists. The regime also arrested 430 farmers in Isfahan Province.”
Pompeo added that “Iranians deserve respect for their human rights.”
In another tweet, Pompeo publishes a photo of Major Gen. Qasem Soleimani, the commander of the Revolutionary Guards Quds Brigade, with a comment saying “Iran’s corrupt regime has enriched the IRGC, Hezbollah and Hamas and squandered the country’s wealth on foreign proxy wars while Iranian families struggle.”


Macron’s security aide charged over assaults caught on video

Updated 1 min 30 sec ago
0

Macron’s security aide charged over assaults caught on video

  • The incident is the most damaging scandal to hit Macron since he took office last year
  • An aide to Macron and an employee of the ruling party were caught on video assaulting May Day protesters

PARIS: A former top security aide for French President Emmanuel Macron was charged Sunday along with an employee of the ruling party after they were caught on video assaulting May Day protesters, footage that went viral on social media.
In the most damaging scandal to hit Macron since he took office last year, Alexandre Benalla and Vincent Crase were charged with “gang violence,” Paris prosecutors said.
Three high-ranking police officers, already suspended on suspicion they illegally gave Benalla video surveillance footage of the incidents to help him try to clear his name, were charged with misappropriation of the images and violating professional secrecy.
The president has yet to comment on the scandal, but his office said Benalla was punished in May with a two-week suspension from active duty.
Yet Benalla continued to appear in Macron’s security details.
The opposition accuses Macron, who came to power on pledges to restore transparency and integrity to the nation’s highest office in order to ensure a “republic of responsibility,” of covering up for Benalla.
Benalla, 26, was fired Friday after video footage emerged showing him hitting a man at least twice as riot police looked on while breaking up a May Day protest in Paris.
Benalla, who was wearing a police helmet with visor as well as a police armband, was additionally charged with impersonating a police officer, as well as complicity in the unauthorized use of surveillance footage.
Interior Minister Gerard Collomb is to appear before parliament on Monday morning, with some MPs warning they will demand his resignation if he knew about the incident but kept quiet.
After publishing the first video of the incident last Wednesday, French daily Le Monde posted a second video showing Benalla violently wrestling a young woman to the ground during the scuffles on a square near the Rue Mouffetard, a picturesque Left Bank street.
Just days after the May 1 demonstrations, which were marred this year by anarchists who clashed with police, Macron had tweeted that “everything will be done so that those responsible will be identified and held accountable for their actions.”
In a third video, published by the Mediapart investigative news site, police officers are seen kicking and punching the young man even after he has been immobilized on the sidewalk.
The man and woman seen in the videos have come forward and plan to testify, a source close to the inquiry said.
The government has been forced to suspend debate on a constitutional reform bill after a revolt by lawmakers, who have announced investigations by both the National Assembly and Senate.
“If Macron doesn’t explain himself the Benalla affair will become the Macron affair,” far-right leader Marine Le Pen posted on Twitter.
“Why the devil did he insist on protecting a second-rank employee who should have been kicked out of the Elysee months ago?” rightwing daily Le Figaro asked in an editorial Sunday.
But ruling Republic on the Move (LREM) party spokesman Gabriel Attal defended the president’s silence.
If Macron speaks now, “we’d have indignant commentators everywhere saying his comments could influence the inquiry,” Attal said.
Adding to the controversy, Le Monde reported Friday that despite his suspension Benalla was allowed this month to move into a palatial mansion along the Seine reserved for Elysee workers.
He was also being provided with a car and chauffeur, the paper said.
Investigators have searched Benalla’s home in the Paris suburb of Issy-Les-Moulineaux, where a city hall official said Benalla was supposed to have married on Saturday.
The scandal could hardly have come at a worse time for Macron, whose approval ratings fell to a record low of 39 percent last week, defying analysts’ expectations of a post-World Cup bump.
“Macron defenseless,” the Journal du Dimanche said in a front-page headline on Sunday over a picture of the president and Benalla.