Court issues new notices to Sharif, aide in treason case

Nawaz Sharif. (AFP)
Updated 01 July 2018
0

Court issues new notices to Sharif, aide in treason case

  • Every Pakistani has a clear-cut approach regarding relations with India
  • Abbasi is alleged to have leaked the minutes of the meeting to Sharif, his party’s chief

LAHORE: The Lahore High Court has issued fresh notices to former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and journalist Cyril Almeida after they failed to appear in the court on Friday.
A petition was filed on Monday against Sharif, Almeida and former Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, accusing Sharif of high treason for his remarks about Pakistani involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks in an interview with Almeida.
The remarks led to an emergency meeting of the National Security Council. Abbasi is alleged to have leaked the minutes of the meeting to Sharif, his party’s chief.
The petition read that in doing so, Abbasi breached his oath as he was bound “not to allow his personal interest to influence his official conduct.”
The court had instructed the respondents to file their affidavits by June 29. Abbasi, the only one of the three co-accused present in the court, said he had not received any prior notice.
He said he was on the court premises to contest his ineligibility to take part in the upcoming election when he learned of the treason case from TV channels, and appeared before the court as he believes in the supremacy of the law.
Raja Zafarul Haq, chairman of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), told Arab News: “Every Pakistani has a clear-cut approach regarding relations with India. Sharif has the same point of view that Pakistan’s security establishment has. He could never imagine harming the national cause and interest.”
But advocate Azhar Siddique told Arab News that Sharif “committed sedition” with his remarks, and should face action under the constitution and Pakistan’s penal code. The court has adjourned the hearing until Sept. 10.


US not renewing sanctions waivers for importing Iranian oil, working with Saudi Arabia and UAE

Updated 37 min 46 sec ago
0

US not renewing sanctions waivers for importing Iranian oil, working with Saudi Arabia and UAE

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said the US would be ending sanction waivers for countries importing Iranian oil, increasing economic pressure on the regime, according to a White House Statement.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was to discuss the move at the State Department Monday morning. The decision means sanctions waivers for five nations, including China and India and U.S. treaty allies Japan, South Korea and Turkey, will not be renewed when they expire on May 2.

The statement said that the US, Saudi Arabia and the UAE had "agreed to take timely action to assure that global demand is met as all Iranian oil is removed from the market."

White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett said on Monday that he believed global oil markets would be able to handle the US decision to force buyers of Iranian oil to either end imports or face sanctions, despite Monday's surge in oil prices.

"I think that the global oil markets are poised to be able to deal with this," Kevin Hassett said in an interview with CNBC. 

The move comes as the administration toughens its already strict penalties on Iran by trying to choke off all the revenue the country makes from oil sales.

The waivers had been in place since November, when the administration re-imposed sanctions on Iran after President Donald Trump withdrew the US from the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran.

They were granted in part to give those countries time to eliminate their purchases of Iranian oil but also to ease any impact on global energy markets with the abrupt removal of Iran's production.

Pompeo says now that production increases elsewhere will make up for the loss of Iranian oil on the market.

(With Agencies)