New Al-Ahli signings from La Liga land in Saudi Arabia

José Manuel Jurado and Alexis Ruano have arrived in the Kingdom to play for Al-Ahli. (@ALAHLI_FCEN)
Updated 02 July 2018
0

New Al-Ahli signings from La Liga land in Saudi Arabia

  • José Manuel Jurado and Alexis Ruano arrive in Jeddah after signing two-year contracts
  • They will spearhead Al-Ahli's title challenge with Al-Hilal

LONDON: Al-Ahli’s new signings José Manuel Jurado and Alexis Ruano have both thanked the fans for making them feel so welcome after they touched down in Jeddah to begin their careers in the Saudi Pro League.
Jurado, the former Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid playmaker, and ex-Valencia and Sevilla defender Ruano arrived in the Kingdom on Saturday after signing two-year contracts last week.
They will meet their new teammates this week and begin pre-season training under new coach Pablo Guede as the squad prepares for the opening league game of the season against Al-Batin on Aug. 30.
Al-Ahli finished runners-up to Al-Hilal by a point last season and have made four new signings and re-signed three existing players as they seek to go one better this time round.
Jurado is the headline summer signing. He won the Europa League with Atletico Madrid, played at Real Madrid and Espanyol and has Premier League experience with Watford. This is his third stint abroad, having played in England and Russia.
“I’m at home, finally in Jeddah,” tweeted Jurado, 32. “Thanks to @ALAHLI_FCEN for the excellent welcome received.”
The signing of Ruano is more low key than that of Jurado, but the capture of the defender could be just as important. He is set to form a new-look partnership with Motaz Hawsawi at the heart of the Al-Ahli defense and he will bring with him 12 years of La Liga experience, a league where your mettle and skill as a defender is really tested.
“Thank you @ALAHLI_FCEN and thank you all for your support messages,” he tweeted.
Nouh Al-Mousa and Egypt international Abdallah El-Said have also signed for the club while Omar Al-Somah, Mohamed Al-Fateel and Hawsawi have signed new contracts.


FIFA claims progress in letting women attend games in Iran

Updated 43 min 39 sec ago
0

FIFA claims progress in letting women attend games in Iran

  • Iran will host their first World Cup qualifier in October
  • FIFA wants the issue of women attending men’s games to be resolved before the game

ZURICH: FIFA says Iran’s football federation supports letting women attend 2022 World Cup qualifying games of its men’s national team, though government approval is still needed.
FIFA is working with Iranian authorities to overcome a ban on women entering stadiums for men’s games since the 1979 Islamic revolution.
Some women were allowed to watch the Asian Champions League final in Tehran last November when FIFA President Gianni Infantino also attended.
FIFA wants the issue resolved before Oct. 10 when Iran — the top-ranked team in Asia — hosts its first home World Cup qualifier against Cambodia. The next is March 26 against Hong Kong.
Football’s world body says Iran federation president Mehdi Taj has replied to Infantino saying “the matter has been taken up directly with the minister of sports and youth.”