Ghani lays groundwork for Saudi-funded hospital

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani speaks during a news conference in Kabul, Afghanistan on Saturday, June 30, 2018. (REUTERS)
Updated 01 July 2018
0

Ghani lays groundwork for Saudi-funded hospital

  • Saudi Arabia pays for the maternity section, which has 200 beds
  • Afghans annually spend over $300 million on medical treatment, mostly in India

KABUL: Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Sunday laid the foundation of a 1,000-bed hospital complex which is partly sponsored by Saudi Arabia in the eastern city of Jalalabad.
The mega-project — the first of its kind in the country’s history — will be completed in two years, and will offer treatment to patients with disabilities and those suffering from tuberculosis.
The $200 million hospital complex will also include a maternity center.
“Various donors cover the cost of the complex. Saudi Arabia pays for the maternity section, which has 200 beds,” Dr. Najibullah Kamawal, head of the public health department of Jalalabad city, told Arab News after the inauguration of the complex.
Kamawal said the Kingdom’s role in building part of the complex was its first major help to the Ghani administration, which is seeking to establish closer ties with the Gulf nations.
Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the province’s governor, said the completion of the complex will drastically reduce the need for Afghans to travel abroad for medical treatment.
Afghans annually spend over $300 million on medical treatment, mostly in India, according to officials.
Hours after Ghani’s visit to Jalalabad, a suicide bomber killed several people outside the governor’s office in the heart of the city.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Earlier in the day, Ghani met with government officials in the governor’s office. It was not clear if the attack was linked with his visit.


Saudi foreign minister pledges ‘comprehensive investigation’ of Khashoggi killing

Updated 27 min 49 sec ago
0

Saudi foreign minister pledges ‘comprehensive investigation’ of Khashoggi killing

  • Jubeir said all those responsible for the journalist’s death would be detained

JAKARTA: Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said on Tuesday the kingdom was committed to a “comprehensive investigation” of the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey.
Saudi Arabia had sent a team to Turkey and all those responsible for the journalist’s death would be detained, the minister told a news conference in Indonesia.