Australia monster crocodile caught after eight-year hunt

A handout photo from the Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife shows the 4.7-meter saltwater crocodile, weighing 600 kilograms, in a trap after being caught after an eight-year hunt, in the Northern Territory town of Katherine. (Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife/AFP)
Updated 10 July 2018
0

Australia monster crocodile caught after eight-year hunt

SYDNEY: An elusive monster saltwater crocodile weighing 600 kilograms (1,328 pounds) has finally been caught after an eight-year hunt in Australia, officials said on Tuesday.
The 4.7-meter (15.4-foot) beast was found in a trap downstream from the northern outback town of Katherine after first being spotted in 2010.
Authorities had tried in vain for years to bag the croc, which is estimated to be 60 years old.
“We’ve called it a lot of things over the years because it’s been so hard to catch,” senior wildlife officer John Burke told broadcaster ABC.
“It is a bit of a thrill, but you’ve also got to admire the size of the animal and how old it is. You’ve got to have a bit of respect for it.”
The animal was taken to a crocodile farm to keep it separate from the local human population, said Northern Territory wildlife operations chief Tracey Duldig.
“He is the biggest crocodile ever removed from the Katherine River by the Wildlife Operations Unit,” Duldig said in a statement.
Wildlife rangers capture around 250 “problem crocodiles” each year.
Saltwater crocodiles are a common feature of Australia’s tropical north and kill an average of two people a year.
The crocodile population has exploded since they were declared a protected species in the 1970s, with the killing of an elderly woman last year reigniting calls to curb their numbers.


Oman’s Religious Affairs Ministry says second wife rule claim was ‘fake news’

Updated 57 min 4 sec ago
0

Oman’s Religious Affairs Ministry says second wife rule claim was ‘fake news’

DUBAI: Oman’s Religious Affairs Ministry said reports of a decision allegedly forcing local men to wed multiple wives to boost the population were “fake news,” local daily Times of Oman reported.
False claims spread on social media in a post that read, “Due to the lack of population growth, the Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs decided [that] every man must marry at least two women and the state will support them monetarily,” the report added.
“A woman who tries to prevent her husband [from getting married again will face] a penalty set by the ‘Department of Women Preaching and Guidance’ in the Ministry,” it added.
But the Religious Affairs Ministry dispelled the rumors, and issued a statement which stated: “Referring to the rumor that is being circulated, the Ministry would like to point out that this decision has not been issued by the Ministry of Endowments and Religious Affairs and that they will take legal action against [the person who started] rumor.”