Philippines’ Duterte sees lowest rating since becoming president

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, right, gestures to show respect to Filipino Archbishop Romulo Valles, President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, during their meeting at the Malacanang presidential palace in Manila on Monday, July 9. (Malacanang Presidential Photographers Division via AP)
Updated 10 July 2018
0

Philippines’ Duterte sees lowest rating since becoming president

MANILA: Satisfaction in Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte fell to the lowest of his presidency since coming into office in 2016, an independent survey showed on Tuesday.
Net satisfaction, used by pollster Social Weather Stations (SWS) as a rating of the president’s performance, was down 11 points from the first quarter to 45 in the survey of 1,200 Filipinos conducted in the last week of June.
It was the president’s lowest rating in eight surveys taken since 2016. In the first quarter of this year, Duterte’s rating slipped to 56 percent from 58 percent in December 2017.
The president was unfazed by the drop in his ratings.
“I don’t care, it does not interest me at all,” Duterte told a news conference north of Manila.
The survey was taken during the week when Duterte attacked the Catholic Church and called God “stupid” after bishops and priests criticized the killing of drug suspects in the government’s anti-narcotics campaign.
“It was an unnecessary remark, it really affected his ratings,” said analyst Earl Parreno of the Institute of Political and Electoral Reforms.
“The rising prices and unemployment also had an impact, but this is only temporary. He has to repair his relations with the bishops and rebuild his image,” Parreno said.
Duterte met with the head of the Catholic Bishops group on Monday, promising to refrain from attacking the Church.
The SWS survey did not ask respondents to explain their rating for Duterte, who took office in June 2016. Duterte had enjoyed high satisfaction ratings since coming to office, peaking at 66 in June 2017.
Based on the SWS methodology for satisfaction ratings, a score of 70 and above is considered excellent, 50 to 69 is very good, 30-49 good and 10-29 moderate.


Trump paying tribute to Americans killed in Syrian attack

Updated 36 min 18 sec ago
0

Trump paying tribute to Americans killed in Syrian attack

JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Maryland: President Donald Trump was paying tribute Saturday to the four Americans killed in a suicide bomb attack in Syria this week as he set off to Dover Air Force Base for the return of their remains.
The trip was not listed on the president’s public schedule that was released Friday night, but he tweeted the news before his Saturday morning departure from the White House.
“Will be leaving for Dover to be with the families of 4 very special people who lost their lives in service to our Country!” he wrote.
The visit comes during a budget fight that has consumed Washington for the past month, shuttering parts of the federal government and leaving hundreds of thousands of workers without pay. Raising the stakes in his dispute with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., the president on Thursday abruptly canceled her military flight, hours before she and a congressional delegation were to depart for Afghanistan on a previously undisclosed visit to US troops.
Trump planned an announcement later Saturday that was expected to outline a deal the White House hopes might pave the way for the shutdown’s end.
Daesh has claimed responsibility for Wednesday’s attack in the northern Syrian town of Manbij that came about a month after Trump had declared that the militants had been defeated and that he was withdrawing US forces from the country.
The attack highlighted the threat still posed by Daesh despite Trump’s assertion and could complicate that withdrawal plan. Some of his senior advisers have disagreed with the decision and have offered an evolving timetable for the removal of the approximately 2,000 US troops.
The bombing, which also wounded three US troops, was the deadliest assault on US forces in Syria since they went into the country in 2015.
At least 16 people were killed, and the dead were said to have included a number of fighters with the Syrian Democratic Forces, who have fought alongside the Americans against Daesh.
The Pentagon has identified three of the four Americans killed:
— Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Jonathan R. Farmer, 37, of Boynton Beach, Florida, who was based at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
— Navy Chief Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive) Shannon M. Kent, 35, of Pine Plains, New York, and based at Fort Meade, Maryland.
— civilian Scott A. Wirtz from St. Louis.
The Pentagon hasn’t identified the fourth casualty, a civilian contractor.
During a visit Thursday to the Defense Department, Trump cited the fallen when he expressed his “deepest condolences to the families of the brave American heroes who laid down their lives yesterday in selfless service to our nation.” He called them “great, great people. We will never forget their noble and immortal sacrifice.”
Trump has made one other visit to Dover during his presidency, soon after taking office. On Feb. 1, 2017, Trump honored the returning remains of a US Navy SEAL killed in a raid in Yemen. Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens, a 36-year-old from Peoria, Illinois, was the first known US combat casualty since Trump became president.
Over the past month, Trump and others have appeared to adjust the Syria pullout timeline, and US officials have suggested it will likely take several months to safely withdraw American forces from Syria.
In a Dec. 19 tweet announcing the withdrawal, Trump had said, “We have defeated Daesh in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency,” referring to another acronym for Daesh. He said the troops would begin coming home “now.” That plan triggered immediate pushback from military leaders and led to the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis.
In discussing the withdrawal decision, Trump has repeatedly spoken about how much he dislikes making calls and writing letters to the families of those killed while serving overseas.
“It’s time to get our soldiers out, and it’s time to get our young people out,” Trump said during a post-Christmas visit to Ayn Al-Asad Airbase in Iraq. “I don’t like sending those letters home to parents, saying that your young man or your young woman has been killed. ... We’ve been doing it long enough.”
A leading US voice on foreign policy, Sen. Lindsey Graham, said during a visit Saturday to Turkey that an American withdrawal from Syria that had not been thought through would lead to “chaos” and “an Iraq on steroids.” Graham, R-S.C., urged Trump not to get out without a plan and said the goal of destroying Daesh militants in Syria had not yet been accomplished.
Manbij is the main town on the westernmost edge of Syrian territory held by the US-backed Syrian Kurds, running along the border with Turkey. Mixed Kurdish-Arab Syrian forces liberated Manbij from Daesh in 2016 with help from the US-led coalition.
But Kurdish control of the town infuriated Turkey, which views the main US Kurdish ally, the YPG militia, as “terrorists” linked to Kurdish insurgents on its own soil.
Trump reinforced his withdrawal decision during a meeting with about a half-dozen GOP senators late Wednesday at the White House.
Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, who was at the meeting, told reporters on a conference call that the president remained “steadfast” in his decision not to stay in Syria — or Afghanistan — “forever.” But the senator did not disclose the latest thinking on the withdrawal timeline.
Paul said Trump told the group, “We’re not going to continue the way we’ve done it.”