70 artisans feature handicrafts at Saudi Arabia’s Souq Okaz fest

The contest aims to encourage men and women artisans to introduce their works and take them to new horizons.
Updated 11 July 2018
0

70 artisans feature handicrafts at Saudi Arabia’s Souq Okaz fest

  • The contest aims to encourage men and women artisans to introduce their works and take them to new horizons
  • The criteria this year focuses on four elements: Authenticity, innovation, distinction and the product’s economy and advertising

JEDDAH: Seventy male and female craftsmen from all over the Kingdom are taking part in the craft contest at the Souq Okaz in its 12th edition.
Dr. Faisal Al-Khamis, general supervisor of the National Program of Crafts and Handicrafts (Bari’) said the “Okaz prize for innovation and creativity in handcrafts” is worth SR300,000 ($80,000) and includes eight categories.
The contest aims to encourage men and women artisans to introduce their works and take them to new horizons, renewing the innovation in the field that Saudi Arabia is proud of.
Al-Khamis indicated that the arbitration criteria this year reflect the artisans’ distinction.
Eight associations and centers are participating in the Bari’ show for artisans.
The criteria this year focuses on four elements: Authenticity, innovation, distinction and the product’s economy and advertising. The arbitration committee is formed of five of the best local and international judges in different fields. The contest is divided into eight categories: Manufacturing of palm products, sadu (spinning and weaving of goat and sheep wool), manual carpeting, crochet and embroidery, manufacturing and carving of wood products, drawing or carving or hand-decorating any natural material, manufacturing of innovative handcrafts and heritage traditional works.


Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

Updated 12 min 48 sec ago
0

Coalition spokesman confirms commitment to finding political solution to Yemen crisis

  • Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict
  • Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition backing the legitimate government in Yemen against Iranian-backed Houthi rebels is committed to reaching a political solution to the conflict, its spokesman confirmed on Monday.

Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths, in an address to the Security Council, had praised the coalition’s desire to reach an agreement in the conflict.

Al-Maliki explained that a meeting had been held by Yemen’s national economic committee, which included representatives from Saudi Arabia, the UAE, the UK and the US.

During the meeting, several measures were taken to improve the Yemeni economy, Al-Maliki said. He also added that the coalition had facilitated a humanitarian plan for Yemen worth more than $1 billion with contributions from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait.

Regarding Houthi actions in Yemen, Al-Maliki said the Iranian-backed militia continues to commit violations and ignore international law.

He said the Houthis had planted mines at a school as well as other areas in and around Hodeidah, and destroyed a mosque in the port city.

Al-Maliki also provided evidence that the Houthis replaced contents of World Food Program packages with TNT explosives.

He added that 200 mines planted by the Houthis had been deactivated in the province of Hajjah, reiterating that the group is still using civilians as human shields and recruiting them to join their ranks.