Ryanair pilots in Ireland start first strike

Around 100 of Ryanair’s 350 Irish pilots balloted to strike for 24 hours to demand a more transparent system of pay, promotions and transfers. (Reuters)
Updated 12 July 2018
0

Ryanair pilots in Ireland start first strike

DUBLIN: Pilots in Ryanair’s home country Ireland held a strike for the first time on Thursday as they demanded better conditions from Europe’s largest low-cost carrier, which is trying to stave off a wave of industrial action across Europe.
Around 100 of Ryanair’s 350 Irish pilots balloted to strike for 24 hours to demand a more transparent system of pay, promotions and transfers, aiming to limit what the FORSA/IALPA union says is excessive discretion management have over pilots’ careers. A union representative said more strikes were possible.
Pilots and cabin crew at Ryanair began to organize after a wave of cancelations at the airline in the second half 2017. In December, the airline gave in to growing pressure and recognized trade unions for the first time in its 32-year history.
But management have struggled to reach agreement with unions on new terms and conditions and the airline has been hit by industrial action in Germany and Portugal.
Cabin crew in four countries have announced plans to strike in July and several other pilot unions are considering industrial action to demand improved conditions, including contracts under local rather than Irish law.
The airline, which says its pilots have some of the best conditions in the low-cost sector, said it planned to cancel 30 of 290 flights from Ireland on Thursday.
Around two dozen Ryanair pilots picketed close to Dublin airport. The airline offered to pay for taxis or public parking for pilots working on Thursday so they could avoid the picket.


Samsung delays Galaxy Fold media events in China

Updated 22 April 2019
0

Samsung delays Galaxy Fold media events in China

  • Instead of plaudits ahead of the phone’s launch on April 26 in the US, Samsung has instead received brickbats
  • The hashtag #foldgate trended on Twitter because of the smartphone issues

SEOUL: Smartphone maker Samsung postponed media events for its Galaxy Fold planned for this week in Hong Kong and Shanghai, a company official said, days after reviewers of the foldable handset reported defective samples.
The official did not elaborate on reasons or rescheduling.
Instead of plaudits ahead of the phone’s launch on April 26 in the United States, the South Korean conglomerate has been blighted by technology journalists reporting breaks, bulges and blinking screens after using their samples for as little as a day.
Samsung said it received “a few” reports of damage to the displays of samples of the $1,980 handset, raising the specter of the combustible Galaxy Note 7 three years ago which the firm ultimately pulled from shelves at massive cost.
The reviewers’ reports of broken screens went viral online and prompted the creation of hashtag #foldgate on Twitter.
Samsung has hailed the folding design as the future in a field that has seen few surprises since Apple’s iPhone in 2007. Chinese rival Huawei Technologies has also announced a folding handset, the Mate X.
The Samsung official on Monday said it had no change to its previously announced release date in the United States.
It plans to begin South Korean and European sales in May, and Chinese sales from an undisclosed date.