Saudi border guards thwart attempts to smuggle more than half a ton of cannabis

Saudi border guards in Jazan, Najran and Asir Regions thwart attempts to smuggle more than half a ton of cannabis last month. (File photo SPA)
Updated 16 July 2018

Saudi border guards thwart attempts to smuggle more than half a ton of cannabis

RIYADH: The Saudi Border Guards managed to foil several attempts to smuggle a total of 646 kg of cannabis, and arrested a total of 40 people, in the period between Jun. 15 to Jul. 13, according to a border guards spokesman.
He explained that the operation, carried out in Jazan, Najran and Asir regions, falls within the framework of carrying out the tasks of the border guards to counter the attempts of criminal networks that are involved in the smuggling of narcotics through the Kingdom’s land and sea borders.
The spokesman said that the suspects and narcotics seized were referred to the competent authorities to complete the legal procedures.
The forty people were arrested after they were monitored crossing the Kingdom’s southern borders, and they included 23 Ethiopians, two Somali nationals, nine Yemenis, two Saudis and two people with unknown identifications.
The spokesman stressed that the border guards will not hesitate in carrying out their duties against anyone who tries to violate the border security or illegally bypass, and they will be dealt with firmly and accordingly.


Houthi drones hit Aramco plant, sparking small fire

Updated 6 min 21 sec ago

Houthi drones hit Aramco plant, sparking small fire

  • The Houthi drones were fired from Yemen
  • The drones hit the plant, causing a small fire that was quickly extinguished

DUBAI: The Saudi energy minister Khalid Al-Falih has confirmed that a Houthi drone strike hit the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction facility causing a small fire on Saturday.

In a statement condemning the attack, Falih said there had been “no injuries” and that the fire had been put out after the Houthis fired several drones.

“Saudi Aramco’s response team controlled a limited fire this morning at the Shaybah NGL facility,” a statement released on the oil giant’s website read.

“There were no injuries and no interruptions to Saudi Aramco’s oil operations. We will provide further details as they become available.”