Pakistan’s ex-PM, daughter appeal against jail sentence

In this file photo, ousted Pakistani prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz attend a UK PMLN Party Workers Convention meeting with supporters in London on July 11, 2018. (TOLGA AKMEN/AFP)
Updated 16 July 2018
0

Pakistan’s ex-PM, daughter appeal against jail sentence

  • High court is bound to decide on the appeals within 30 days under the National Accountability Ordinance
  • Sharif and his daughter were arrested at Lahore airport as they arrived in Pakistan on July 13 after they had been sentenced to 10 years and 7 years respectively

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s ex-premier, and his daughter and son-in-law, on Monday challenged the verdict of an accountability court in the Avenfield properties corruption case by filing separate appeals in Islamabad High Court.
Nawaz Sharif, Maryam Nawaz and son-in-law Mohammad Safdar are currently behind bars after a court in Islamabad on July 6 sentenced Nawaz and Maryam in absentia to 10 years and 7 years with a £8 million fine and £2 million fine respectively on corruption charges. Safdar was given a one-year sentence without any fine.
Sharif and his family members appealed to the court through their lawyers to annul the verdict of the accountability court and release the defendants on bail until the final decision of the court. 
“The accountability court’s verdict is in contradiction with the law and declaring it void would serve justice,” Maryam’s legal counsel Amjad Pervaiz told the media after filing the appeals.
“Our case is very strong and on merit. We hope to get some relief,” he said, while pointing out legal flaws in the judgment.
On July 13, both Nawaz and Maryam were arrested at Lahore airport on their arrival from London and sent to Adiala Jail, Rawalpindi, to serve their sentence. 
The two leaders were in London at the time of the verdict with Nawaz’s wife and Maryam’s mother Kulsoom Nawaz who is battling cancer. She has reportedly been on life-support since June 14.
In separate appeals in the high court, their lawyers urged the court to set aside the accountability court’s verdict, suspend the verdict until the high court adjudicates on the appeals and release the trio on bail.
One of the appeals pointed out that the prosecution had provided no evidence establishing the ex-premier as the owner of the London flats.
Sharif family’s lawyers have also urged the high court to transfer the two remaining corruption references against Nawaz — the Flagship Enterprises and Al-Azizia case — to another accountability judge, arguing that the same judge could not hear another case against the accused after giving judgment in the Avenfield case. 
Sharafat Ali, high court senior advocate, said that it was at the discretion of the chief justice of Islamabad High Court to fix the appeals for hearing, but it was most likely that a divisional bench of the court would hear the appeals from this week.
“Under the National Accountability Ordinance, the high court is bound to give its verdict on the appeals within 30 days,” he told Arab News.
Ali said that if the high court rejected the appeals, the Sharif family would have a chance to challenge the matter in the Supreme Court. “It is a long legal battle and the Sharif family may not get an immediate relief,” he said.
Nawaz Sharif was ousted from the Supreme Court in July last year in a Panama Papers case. The court had directed the National Accountability Bureau to file corruption references against the deposed premier and his family members for having assets beyond their known sources of income.
Professor Tahir Malik, political analyst and academic, said that it was almost impossible that Sharif and his daughter Maryam would be released on bail before the July 25 general elections.
“Both Nawaz and Maryam will have to serve their jail term with grace if they really want to come out as political heroes and revive the fortunes of their embattled political party,” he told Arab News.


Mali sacks senior army officers, dissolves militia after massacre

Colonel Gabriel Soubrier (L) from the Barkhane mission in Africa's Sahel region, speaks with Anderamboukane prefect Moussa Diallo (C) and Menaka region governor Daouda Maiga (R) at the military base of Malian Army forces (Fama) in Anderamboukane, Menaka region, on March 22, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 10 min 37 sec ago
0

Mali sacks senior army officers, dissolves militia after massacre

  • At least 136 men, women and children were killed in the attack, according to a “provisional toll,” public television ORTM said late Sunday

BAMAKO: Mali’s government on Sunday announced the sacking of senior military officers and the dissolution of an ethnic militia, a day after the massacre of more than 130 Fulani villagers, including women and children.
Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga said new military chiefs would be named, and that the Dan Nan Ambassagou association, composed of Dogon hunters, had been dissolved.
The dissolution of the militia was to send a clear message, Maiga told journalists: “The protection of the population will remain the monopoly of the state.”
Survivors of Saturday’s attack said ethnic Dogon hunters carried out the deadly raid in Ogossagou, a village in central Mali inhabited by the Fulani community.
While local attacks are fueled by accusations of Fulani herders grazing cattle on Dogon land and disputes over access to land and water, the area is also troubled by jihadist influence.
Maiga did not name the senior officers sacked, but defense ministry sources told AFP they were the Armed Forces Chief of General Staff M’Bemba Moussa Keita, and chiefs of the army and the air force.
The prime minister’s announcement came hours after an emergency meeting called by President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita in response to Saturday’s massacre.
At least 136 men, women and children were killed in the attack, according to a “provisional toll,” public television ORTM said late Sunday.
The television showed images of burned huts and livestock and shell casings in the village.
The victims were shot or hacked to death with machetes, a security source told AFP.
A government delegation led by Justice Minister Tiena Coulibaly went to the site of the massacre Sunday.
They were sent by the president to “tell the people of Ogossagou that what happened here is unacceptable and that it will not go unpunished,” Coulibaly said.

The UN Children’s Fund said “Malian children are paying a heavy price for the intensification of violence.”
“Growing insecurity since 2017 has led to an increase in murders, mutilations and the recruitment of children,” UNICEF said.
For its part, the European Union called for “immediate steps (including) the disarmament and dismantling of all militias” in Mali.
Researcher Baba Dakono of the Bamako-based Institute for Security Studies told AFP the attack was “unprecedented” but “predictable” because of a weak state presence in the region.
It was the deadliest attack since the end of the 2013 French-led military intervention that drove back jihadist groups who had taken control of northern Mali.

The massacre took place as a delegation from the UN Security Council visited the Sahel region to assess the jihadist threat.
“The secretary general is shocked and outraged” by the bloodshed, Antonio Guterres’s spokesman said in a statement late Saturday.
The UN chief called on the Malian authorities “to swiftly investigate it and bring the perpetrators to justice,” the statement added.
Guterres’s spokesman said the UN mission in Mali, MINUSMA, provided air support to deter further attacks and assisted with the evacuation of the injured.
The attack was launched at dawn on Saturday in the village near the border with Burkina Faso, in a district that has seen frequent inter-communal violence.
Jihadist fighters have also emerged as a threat in central Mali in the past four years. A group led by radical Islamist preacher Amadou Koufa has recruited mainly from the Fulani community.
Since then, there have been repeated clashes between the Fulani and Dogon and last year the violence claimed some 500 civilian lives, according to UN figures.
In January, Dogon hunters were blamed for the killing of 37 people in another Fulani village, Koulogon, in the same region.
The Fulani have repeatedly called for more protection from the authorities. The government in Bamako has denied their accusations that it turns a blind eye to — or even encourages — Dogon attacks on the Fulani.
Once considered a beacon of democracy and stability in Africa, Mali in recent years has been dogged by a coup, civil war and Islamist terrorism.
Extremists linked to Al-Qaeda took control of the desert north in early 2012, but were largely driven out in a French-led military operation launched in January 2013.
In June 2015, Mali’s government signed a peace agreement with some armed groups, but the jihadists remain active, and large tracts of the country remain lawless,
The violence persists despite the presence of UN peacekeepers, a strong French military contingent and the creation of a five-nation military force in the region.