China files WTO challenge to US’ $200 billion tariff plan

China has criticized US President Donald Trump’s proposal for a tariff hike on $200 billion of Chinese goods. (Chinatopix via AP)
Updated 16 July 2018
0

China files WTO challenge to US’ $200 billion tariff plan

  • The one-sentence Commerce Ministry statement gave no legal grounds for the challenge or other details
  • Beijing has stepped up diplomatic efforts to recruit support from Europe and South Korea

BEIJING: China announced it filed a World Trade Organization challenge Monday to US President Donald Trump’s proposal for a tariff hike on $200 billion of Chinese goods, reacting swiftly amid deepening concern about the economic impact of their spiraling technology dispute.
The one-sentence Commerce Ministry statement gave no legal grounds for the challenge or other details. It is an unusually rapid move for a trade case, coming less than one week after the US Trade Representative announced the tariff plan, which wouldn’t take effect until at least September.
The USTR said last week that it proposed the levy in response to Beijing’s decision to retaliate for US tariff hikes over complaints China is hurting American companies by stealing or pressuring foreign enterprises to hand over technology.
China criticized the move but has yet to say whether it would retaliate for the second round of tariffs. Its lopsided trade balance with the United States means it has only $80 billion of annual imports of American goods left for retaliation following its earlier measures.
Beijing has stepped up diplomatic efforts to recruit support from Europe, South Korea and other trading partners but so far without success.


Samsung may gain from Huawei’s plight in ongoing trade war: Fitch

Updated 42 min 38 sec ago
0

Samsung may gain from Huawei’s plight in ongoing trade war: Fitch

  • The loss of access to Google’s android system may hurt the smartphone sales of Huawei outside China
  • The ratings agency also added that iPhone maker Apple could be another casualty of the trade tensions

Samsung may have a chance to strengthen its position in the smartphone market due to the hurt caused to Huawei Technologies in the wake of US-China trade tensions, according to Fitch Ratings.
Tech companies, including Google and SoftBank Group-owned chip designer ARM, have said they will cease supplies and updates to Huawei.
The loss of access to Google’s android system may hurt the smartphone sales of the Chinese technology company outside China, thereby giving Samsung a chance to improve its market share, Fitch Ratings said in a statement.
Earlier this month, the US government hit Huawei with severe sanctions as the US Commerce Department blocked the Chinese company from buying American goods amid its escalating trade spat with China.
The ratings agency also added that iPhone maker Apple could be another casualty of the trade tensions between Beijing and Washington, which would accelerate its market share loss in China.