Malaysia to release report on missing flight MH370 on July 30

Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has said Malaysia would consider resuming the search for Flight MH370 if new clues came to light. (Reuters)
Updated 20 July 2018
0

Malaysia to release report on missing flight MH370 on July 30

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia will release on July 30 a long-awaited report into the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, the transport minister said on Friday.
In May, Malaysia called off a privately-funded underwater search for the aircraft, which became one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries when it vanished with 239 aboard en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014.
The investigation team would brief families of those aboard on the report at the transport ministry on July 30, said the minister, Anthony Loke.
“Every word recorded by the investigation team will be tabled in this report,” he told reporters, adding that a news conference would follow the closed-door briefing.
“We are committed to the transparency of this report,” Loke added. “It will be tabled fully, without any editing, additions, or redactions.”
The report will be put online, with hard copies distributed to families and accredited media, among others, Loke said, adding, “The whole international community will have access to the report.”
Voice 370, a group representing the relatives, has previously urged the Malaysian government for a review of the flight, including “any possible falsification or elimination of records related to MH370 and its maintenance.”
The only confirmed traces of the Boeing 777 aircraft have been three wing fragments washed up on Indian Ocean coasts.
The search Malaysia called off on May 29, by US-based firm Ocean Infinity, covered 112,000 square kilometers in the southern Indian Ocean within three months, ending with no significant new findings.
It was the second major search after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless A$200 million ($147.06 million) search across an area of 120,000 sq km last year.
Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has said Malaysia would consider resuming the search if new clues came to light.


Maldives arrests ex-leader Yameen for money laundering

Updated 18 February 2019
0

Maldives arrests ex-leader Yameen for money laundering

  • No comment from Yameen or his legal team yet
  • The court already froze the ex-president’s local bank accounts containing $6.5 million

MALÉ, Maldives: Maldivian authorities Monday ordered the arrest of former strongman president Abdulla Yameen over money laundering charges, officials said.
The arrest came after a court began a preliminary hearing into allegations that Yameen received nearly $1.5 million in illicit payments just before he lost his re-election bid in September.
“Prosecutors said that Yameen had allegedly attempted to bribe witnesses,” a court official said, adding that the former president would be taken to the Dhoonidhoo prison island near the capital.
Yameen, who came to power in 2013 and jailed many of his opponents or forced them into exile, had been summoned to the Criminal Court Sunday to formally receive his indictment.
During his five-year tenure, Yameen relied heavily on China for political and financial support as he came under criticism over his dismal human rights record.
The Indian Ocean archipelago nation of 340,000 Sunni Muslims is heavily in debt to China.
Authorities believe millions of dollars allegedly siphoned off by Yameen could be stashed abroad, and have said that talks are underway with foreign entities to repatriate any cash found.
The court has already frozen Yameen’s local bank accounts holding about $6.5 million, a decision the former leader has contested.
There was no immediate comment from Yameen or his legal team on the latest court order.