Trump claims ex-lawyer’s phone-taping is ‘perhaps illegal’

US President Donald Trump stands during a joint statement at the White House. (Reuters)
Updated 21 July 2018
0

Trump claims ex-lawyer’s phone-taping is ‘perhaps illegal’

  • Attorney Michael Cohen made a secret recording about a potential payment for former Playboy model
  • "Your favorite President did nothing wrong!” Trump tweeted

BRIDGEWATER/ NEW JERSEY: President Donald Trump is asserting that his former personal lawyer’s taping of their private phone conversations is “totally unheard of & perhaps illegal.”
Trump is responding to the revelation that attorney Michael Cohen made a secret recording of their discussion about a potential payment for a former Playboy model’s account of having an affair with Trump. That conversation took place weeks before Trump’s November 2016 election.
Trump tweets: “The good news is that your favorite President did nothing wrong!” His lawyer has said the payment was never made.
The recording was part of the documents and electronic records seized by authorities from the longtime Trump fixer earlier this year.
Since then, Cohen has publicly distanced himself from the president and remains under investigation by the government.


Koreas to shut down some border guard posts

Updated 33 min 13 sec ago
0

Koreas to shut down some border guard posts

  • The Demilitarized Zone that has divided the peninsula since the end of the Korean War in 1953
  • The DMZ, designated as a buffer zone, bisects the Korean peninsula and is about four kilometers wide

SEOUL: North and South Korea have agreed to close some guard posts along their border on a trial basis, Seoul’s defense minister told parliament Tuesday amid a rapid diplomatic thaw.
The Demilitarized Zone that has divided the peninsula since the end of the Korean War in 1953 is, despite its name, one of the most fortified places on earth, with the areas on either side of it bristling with minefields and barbed-wire fences.
Song Young-moo said the South would withdraw around 10 guard posts as part of confidence-building measures following the landmark summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and the South’s President Moon Jae-in in April.
“What it means is that we will first withdraw one or two guard posts and gradually expand it,” Song told lawmakers, adding the North would take reciprocal measures.
“The North and South agreed to withdraw guard posts that are closest to each other,” he added.
“The closest is about 700 meters away and we will begin withdrawing guard posts that are within one kilometer.”
A defense ministry official said the issue was still being discussed and declined to clarify whether the posts would be physically removed.
The 1950-53 conflict ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty, leaving the two Koreas technically at war.
The DMZ, designated as a buffer zone, bisects the Korean peninsula and is about four kilometers (2.5 miles) wide. It includes a Joint Security Area around the truce village of Panmunjom, where negotiations take place.