Libyan coast guard intercepts 40 migrants bound for Europe

Members of the Spanish NGO Proactiva Open Arms rescue a woman in the Mediterranean open sea about 85 miles of the Libyan coast on July 17, 2018. (File Photo: Pau Barrena/AFP)
Updated 22 July 2018
0

Libyan coast guard intercepts 40 migrants bound for Europe

  • Libya has emerged as a major transit point to Europe for people fleeing poverty and civil war elsewhere in Africa
  • Libyan authorities have stepped up efforts to stem the flow of migrants with the help of training and money from Europe

CAIRO: Libya’s coast guard says it has intercepted 40 migrants in the Mediterranean Sea, near its shores, bound for Europe.
Coast guard spokesman Ayoub Gassim says a boat carrying 31 men, eight women and a child was stopped on Saturday off the coast of the western city of Zuwara.
He said on Sunday the migrants, who are of Moroccan, Egyptian, Syrian and Nigerian nationalities, were taken to a naval base in Tripoli.
Libya has emerged as a major transit point to Europe for people fleeing poverty and civil war elsewhere in Africa. Human traffickers have exploited Libya’s chaos following the 2011 uprising that toppled and killed longtime ruler Muammar Qaddafi.
Libyan authorities have stepped up efforts to stem the flow of migrants with the help of training and money from Europe.


Turkey suspends over 250 local officials for ‘terror links’

Updated 15 October 2018
0

Turkey suspends over 250 local officials for ‘terror links’

  • Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu removed 259 local neighborhood heads
  • Turkey has suspended or sacked over 140,000 public sector employees because of alleged links to the US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen blamed for the July 2016 failed coup

ANKARA: Turkey has suspended more than 250 senior local officials over alleged terror links and activities unrelated to their posts, the interior ministry said on Monday, in the latest purge of the country’s bureaucracy.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu removed 259 local neighborhood heads — known as “muhtar” in Turkish — from their posts, his office said in a statement.
It did not provide further detail on what terror organizations the officials were allegedly linked to.
The muhtar is the elected chief of a village or a city neighborhood, and responsible for day-to-day services for residents such as registration.
Turkey has suspended or sacked over 140,000 public sector employees because of alleged links to the US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen blamed for the July 2016 failed coup and Kurdish militants.
Turkey claims Gulen ordered the coup but he denies the accusations.
Last week, the ministry suspended 559 village guards — locals employed to combat Kurdish militants — accused of links to terror organizations while 76 were accused of people trafficking and drug crimes.
Turkey has been fighting an insurgency against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) since 1984.
The group is blacklisted as a terror group by Ankara and its Western allies.
Turkish authorities detained 137 people in country-wide operations earlier this month over alleged links to the PKK.