Israel army kills Palestinian teen in Bethlehem: ministry

The teen was killed during a raid in the West Bank. (AFP)
Updated 23 July 2018
0

Israel army kills Palestinian teen in Bethlehem: ministry

  • Arkan Mizher, 15, was shot in the chest during clashes in Dheisheh refugee camp in Bethlehem
  • The Israeli army said its forces had entered the camp and arrested two people suspected of “terror activity”

BETHLEHEM, Palestinian Territories: Israeli soldiers shot dead a Palestinian teenager during a raid in the occupied West Bank overnight, the Palestinian health ministry said on Monday.
Arkan Mizher, 15, was shot in the chest during clashes in Dheisheh refugee camp in Bethlehem, in the southern West Bank, the ministry said.
His funeral was due to take place later Monday.
The Israeli army said its forces had entered the camp and arrested two people suspected of “terror activity.”
“During the operation, a violent riot was instigated in which Palestinians hurled rocks and threw firebombs and grenades at (Israeli) soldiers,” the army said in a statement.
Soldiers fired live rounds at the protesters, the statement added.
The camp is in a part of the West Bank supposedly under full Palestinian control but the Israeli army regularly carries out raids in such areas.
It says the operations are necessary to arrest suspects, but they often spark violent clashes with young Palestinians.


Netanyahu’s adviser accused of sexual assault resigns

Updated 13 December 2018
0

Netanyahu’s adviser accused of sexual assault resigns

  • David Keyes, Netanyahu’s spokesman with the foreign press, formally resigned on Wednesday
  • Keyes issued a statement saying he had “decided to pursue new opportunities in the private sector”

JERUSALEM: An adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has tendered his resignation following allegations of sexual assault.
David Keyes, Netanyahu’s spokesman with the foreign press, formally resigned on Wednesday, nearly three months after taking a leave of absence after he was accused of sexual assault by at least a dozen women.
Keyes issued a statement saying he had “decided to pursue new opportunities in the private sector.”
Keyes has denied the assault accusations, saying all were “deeply misleading and many of them are categorically false.”
Israel’s Civil Service Commission closed an investigation into the allegations last month without taking any disciplinary action against Keyes.
Netanyahu thanked Keyes in a statement “for his great contribution to Israel’s information effort.”