Coalition says it killed Daesh members targeting Saudi Arabia, West

The US-led coalition fighting Daesh said it has killed high-value leaders from the group who were planning attacks targeting Saudi Arabia, the United States and Sweden. (File photo / AFP)
Updated 24 July 2018
0

Coalition says it killed Daesh members targeting Saudi Arabia, West

BAGHDAD: The US-led coalition fighting Daesh said on Tuesday it has killed high-value leaders from the group who were planning attacks targeting Saudi Arabia, the United States and Sweden.
On April 24, a coalition air strike killed Syrian-based Daesh member Munawwar Al-Mutayari in Operation Inherent Resolve, the coalition said in a statement. He had been planning attacks on Saudi Arabia.
Soufiane Makouh, a Belgian foreign fighter who traveled to Syria to plan attacks against the United States and its interests, was killed by an air strike on June 2.
The coalition said that on June 12 an air strike killed Simak, identified as a Daesh intelligence officer linked to a cell plotting attacks in Sweden.
Reuters could not independently verify these planned attacks.
“With its conventional forces under heavy pressure in Syria, Daesh is desperately seeking to remain relevant through operations that threaten all the nations of the world,” Brig. Gen. Brian Eifler, director of Operation Inherent Resolve, said in a statement.
Daesh, which once declared that it would create a caliphate, has suffered heavy losses in the Middle East but is still seen as a security threat.
Months after Iraq declared victory over Daesh, its fighters are making a comeback with a scatter-gun campaign of kidnap and killing.
Numerous attempts to track down and kill Daesh leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi have failed, and his fighters are still active in Arab states.
In Syria, Daesh still holds some territory but has suffered militarily. In Egypt, it is concentrated in the sparsely populated northern Sinai desert. It holds no territory but conducts hit-and-run attacks.
Daesh has tried to rebuild in Libya through mobile units in the desert and sleeper cells in northern cities.


Algeria army chief calls for Bouteflika to be declared unfit to rule

Updated 17 min 19 sec ago
0

Algeria army chief calls for Bouteflika to be declared unfit to rule

  • Move would potentially clear the way for elections to be organized in coming months
  • General Ahmed Gaid Salah's call welcomed by demonstrators in central Algiers

ALGIERS: Algeria's army chief called Tuesday for President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to be declared unfit to govern, after weeks of mass protests demanding the ailing leader step down.
The move would potentially clear the way for elections to be organised in the coming months unless the president recovers.
"It is necessary, even imperative, to adopt a solution to get out of the crisis which responds to the legitimate demands of the Algerian people, and which guarantees the respect of the provisions of the constitution and safeguards the sovereignty of the state," General Ahmed Gaid Salah said in a televised speech.
The armed forces chief of staff, considered loyal to Bouteflika, added that the solution "is in article 102" of the constitution, under which parliament could declare the president unable to perform his duties due to serious illness.
The 82-year-old leader uses a wheelchair and has rarely appeared in public since suffering a stroke in 2013.
Bouteflika said last month he would run for a fifth term in office, despite concerns about his ability to rule, triggering a wave of protests that brought hundreds of thousands into the streets.
He later promised not to stand for another term but also postponed the elections, angering protesters who saw the move as a ploy to stay in power.
The army chief's call was welcomed with car horns honking in Algiers.