White House under fire for barring CNN reporter from event

Kaitlan Collins. (Courtesy: twitter)
Updated 26 July 2018
0

White House under fire for barring CNN reporter from event

WASHINGTON: The White House was under fire Wednesday for barring a CNN reporter from attending an event with the president, allegedly for having asked questions that officials objected to.
Reporter Kaitlan Collins was quoted by CNN as saying that White House communications officials told her she could not attend an event with US President Donald Trump and European Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker because she had asked “inappropriate” questions earlier in the day.
“We strongly condemn the White House’s misguided and inappropriate decision today to bar one of our members from an open press event after she asked questions they did not like,” the White House Correspondents’ Association said in a statement.
“This type of retaliation is wholly inappropriate, wrong-headed, and weak. It cannot stand,” it said.
CNN also condemned the White House’s decision, saying: “Just because the White House is uncomfortable with a question regarding the news of day doesn’t mean the question isn’t relevant and shouldn’t be asked.”
Meanwhile, other journalists — including from rival networks — came to Collins’ defense.
“As a member of the White House Press pool- @FoxNews stands firmly with @CNN on this issue and the issue of access,” tweeted Bret Baier of Fox News.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders — one of the two officials whom Collins said delivered news of the ban — issued a statement alleging that the reporter refused to leave when asked.
“At the conclusion of a press event in the Oval Office a reporter shouted questions and refused to leave despite repeatedly being asked to do so,” Sander said in a statement.
“Subsequently, our staff informed her she was not welcome to participate in the next event, but made clear that any other journalist from her network could attend,” she said.
The Trump White House has a contentious relationship with the press, and the president has termed leading media — including CNN — the “enemy of the American People.”
 


Hungary detains Syrian Daesh member accused of killings: prosecutors

Updated 22 March 2019
0

Hungary detains Syrian Daesh member accused of killings: prosecutors

  • Eurojust, the European agency that oversees judicial co-operation in crime investigations, working with Belgian and Hungarian authorities, found evidence later that he was a member of Daesh
  • Prior to being detained, the man was already awaiting deportation to Greece

BUDAPEST: Hungarian authorities have detained a Syrian man on Friday accused of taking part in beheadings in Syria as a member of Daesh, Budapest prosecutors said in a statement.
The man, not identified in the statement, is suspected of executing about 20 people in 2016, all family members of a person in Homs city who refused to join Daesh, the prosecutors said.
The statement said the man, prior to being detained, was already awaiting deportation to Greece.
He had been caught with forged documents in Budapest's main airport on Dec. 30 last year, given a suspended prison sentence for human trafficking and other crimes, and ordered expelled from Hungary.
Eurojust, the European agency that oversees judicial co-operation in crime investigations, working with Belgian and Hungarian authorities, found evidence later that he was a member of Daesh, the prosecutors said.