Trump thanks North Korea’s Kim for sending war remains, hopes to see him ‘soon’

North Korea handed over 55 boxes of the remains last week as part of agreements reached during a historic June summit between its leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump. (Jung Yeon-je/Pool Photo via AP)
Updated 02 August 2018
0

Trump thanks North Korea’s Kim for sending war remains, hopes to see him ‘soon’

  • Kim Jong Un recently agreed to the repatriation of the remains of American soldiers
  • Previous reports have suggested that just one dog tag was returned with the remains of the apparent war dead

SEOUL: US President Donald Trump said he looked forward to meeting Kim Jong Un soon and thanked the North Korean leader for sending the suspected remains of US soldiers killed in the 1950-1953 Korean War back to the United States.
“Thank you to Chairman Kim Jong Un for keeping your word & starting the process of sending home the remains of our great and beloved missing fallen! I am not at all surprised that you took this kind action,” Trump wrote in a Twitter message.
“Also, thank you for your nice letter — I look forward to seeing you soon!,” Trump said, without elaborating.


11 dead, 50 rescued after India building collapse

Updated 55 sec ago
0

11 dead, 50 rescued after India building collapse

  • Many firms use cheap materials and bribe officials to evade regulations, while on-site safety is lax
  • Police have charged the builder with manslaughter but he remains free

NEW DELHI: Eleven people were confirmed dead on Thursday three days after a building under construction in southern India caved in, officials said.
Building collapses are frequent in India. Many firms use cheap materials and bribe officials to evade regulations, while on-site safety is lax.
Around 400 rescuers have been scouring through tons concrete and steel after the latest tragedy in Karnataka state on Tuesday.
Fifty-three people have been rescued from the rubble of the five-story building in Dharwad district, but three more bodies were pulled out on Thursday.
“At least 15 people are possibly still under the debris and it’s unlikely they will survive,” emergency official Srikant, who goes by one name, told AFP.
Heavy earth-movers and rescuers with specialized equipment and sniffer dogs were deployed in the increasingly desperate operation.
The victims were mostly from northern Indian states who came to the region for work.
Police have charged the builder with manslaughter but he remains free, with investigators saying he will be arrested after the rescue operation is over.
Last September, five people were killed after a Delhi apartment block collapsed. Months earlier, a six-story building in the capital had given way, killing nine.
Millions of Indians, who will vote in elections in April and May, live in dilapidated old buildings, many of which are susceptible to collapse during rain.