Imran Khan officially nominated for PM

In this file photo, Pakistan’s cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (Movement for Justice) speaks to the media after casting his vote at a polling station during the general election in Islamabad on July 25, 2018. (AAMIR QURESHI/AFP)
Updated 06 August 2018
0

Imran Khan officially nominated for PM

  • Tahreek-e-Insaf leader Arif Alvi said Khan was formally nominated on Monday at a party meeting in Islamabad
  • Khan’s party won most parliament seats in last month’s general elections, but fell short of a majority in 342-seat assembly. It’s expected to form a governing coalition later this month

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan was formally nominated on Monday as the party’s official candidate for the post of prime minister.
The resolution nominating him was presented by Vice Chairman Shah Mehmood Qureshi at the PTI’s first parliamentary committee meeting in Islamabad. 
The resolution was accepted by all the party’s leaders, who congratulated Khan on the nomination.
“The issues over why the nation voted us into power need to be addressed as a priority,” he said at the meeting. 
“The country is in an economic crisis and we need to steer it out of it. We will approach overseas Pakistanis for repayment of debts.”


Several blasts heard in Afghan capital Kabul

Updated 6 min 19 sec ago
0

Several blasts heard in Afghan capital Kabul

KABUL: Several explosions were heard in the diplomatic district of the Afghan capital Kabul on Tuesday, but there was no immediate information on casualties, Reuters witnesses and a security official said.

A security official said the explosions were caused by rockets fired from outside the city, and some fell near the presidential palace, around embassy compounds and government buildings

Rockets landed at a time when President Ashraf Ghani was speaking during at an Eid prayer ceremony, two days after he declared a “conditional cease-fire” with the Taliban.

But the Taliban insurgents, according to two senior commanders, have rejected the three-month cease-fire offer and vowed to continue its attacks against the government and its foreign allies.

“There are groups that continue the violence and with firing of rockets they cannot stop the people of Afghanistan’s development,” Ghani said in response to rocket attacks.