DiplomaticQuarter: Week-long German tour for best Saudi, Bahraini entrepreneurs

At least 46 start-ups from 16 countries were part of last year’s roadshow through Germany’s innovation hubs. (Photo/Supplied)
Updated 08 August 2018
0

DiplomaticQuarter: Week-long German tour for best Saudi, Bahraini entrepreneurs

  • Given the Kingdom’s rising ecosystem, start-ups from Saudi Arabia will participate in the tour for the first time
  • Saudi and Bahraini start-ups can submit their applications via presentation and/or video until Aug. 14

JEDDAH: To foster local talents and in support of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030, the German-Saudi Arabian Liaison Office for Economic Affairs (GESALO) aims to find the best Saudi and Bahraini high-tech start-ups in the fields of smart cities, mobility/logistics, and insurance technology at the Start.Up! Germany Pitch Night at the Ritz-Carlton Bahrain on Sept. 6.
Following the success of the first German-Saudi Startup Competition in March, the winners of the Start.Up! Germany Pitch Night will be awarded fully sponsored participation in this year’s Start.Up! Germany Tour in Dusseldorf, Cologne, and the Ruhr area (Oct. 7-12, 2018), with a special welcoming day for Saudi and Bahraini start-ups in Berlin on Oct. 5.
“Providing a platform for local start-ups to unleash their innovative ideas and potential is one of our duties. In that regard, Start.up! Germany is the perfect meeting point of the old and new economy,” said GESALO Project Manager Fabian Zittlau.
Given the Kingdom’s rising ecosystem, start-ups from Saudi Arabia will participate in the tour for the first time. Last year, 46 start-ups from 16 countries such as Brazil, France, Kenya, Russia, and South Korea took part in last year’s roadshow through Germany’s innovation hubs.
The start-ups can expect a series of meetings and matchmakings with German and international investors, public institutions and companies such as Thyssenkrupp, Vodafone, Henkel, Trivago, WILO, Ergo, Evonik, KPMG and DB Schenker.
In addition to pitch events within the individual categories, various workshops are offered to all start-ups. Berlin and the Ruhr area are Germany’s startup hotspots: More than 44 percent of new businesses in Germany are founded in these regions, and 41 percent of venture capital is flowing to Berlin and the Ruhr area.
Saudi and Bahraini start-ups can submit their applications via presentation and/or video until Aug. 14. In Bahrain, the best candidates will compete against each other in a three-minute presentation in their personal categories in front of a high-level jury of company and association representatives from the three countries.
The most promising ideas and business models will qualify for the Start.Up! Germany Tour 2018. Registration is open to Saudi and Bahraini start-ups founded after Jan. 1, 2015, and which have at least one founder from the respective countries. Applications can be submitted at the following link: www.gesalo-startup.com.


Investigation into alleged mistakes in Yemen find coalition forces acted properly

Updated 17 January 2019
0

Investigation into alleged mistakes in Yemen find coalition forces acted properly

JEDDAH: The Joint Incident Assessment Team in Yemen (JIAT) has investigated four allegations made by international governmental and non-governmental organizations and media about mistakes made by coalition forces while carrying out military operations inside Yemen.
JIAT spokesman Mansour Al-Mansour said that the team concluded that the procedures followed by the coalition forces were proper and safe, taking into consideration the rules of engagement, international humanitarian law and the coalition’s own rules.
Team members visited a number of cities in Yemen, including Aden, Lahj and Khor Maksar, during the investigation and spoke to witnesses, victims and their families to gather evidence and establish the facts.
In one of the incidents that was investigated, coalition warship fired on and destroyed a craft in the waters off the Yemeni port of Al-Khokha in September. Al-Mansour said that after examining documents and evidence JIAT had concluded that an alliance ship was escorting and protecting a flotilla of three Saudi merchant ships when, in an area off the port of Al-Khokha, a boat was spotted approaching the convoy at a high speed from the direction of the Yemeni coast.
The escort ship followed the accepted rules of engagement by repeatedly warning the unidentified vessel, using loudspeakers, not to come any closer. When these went unheeded, warning shots were fired but the boat continued to approach.
“On reaching an area that represented a threat to the convoy, the protection ship tackled the boat according to the rules of engagement and targeted it, resulting in an explosion on the boat,” said Al-Mansour. “The protection ship continued escorting the convoy. After the escort task was completed, the protection ship returned to the site of the targeted boat to carry out a search-and-rescue operation for the crew of the target boat but no one was found.”