Five Kenyan soldiers killed in roadside blast

The Shabab has been fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu for over a decade. (AFP)
Updated 10 August 2018
0

Five Kenyan soldiers killed in roadside blast

  • The Shabab has been fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu for over a decade
  • The attack, which the police blame on Al-Qaeda aligned Somali Shabab militants

NAIROBI: Five Kenyan soldiers were killed Wednesday when their vehicle was blown up by an improvised explosive device in the eastern Lamu county, police sources said.
“The officers were on a light truck that ran over the IED and was badly destroyed and the officers died on the spot. Six others have been injured,” a senior police officer in Lamu told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Another police officer in Lamu confirmed the deaths but did not give any further information: “Yes it is true five soldiers were killed and six injured.”
The attack, which the police blame on Al-Qaeda aligned Somali Shabab militants, took place on the road to the town of Bodhei near the Boni Forest, which the Islamists use as a refuge.
The use of homemade explosives against police and army patrols in the border areas of northern and eastern Kenya near Somalia is relatively common.
The Shabab claimed to have killed 11 soldiers in Lamu County as well as a Somali soldier in Lower Shabelle, the SITE Intelligence Group, monitoring the Shahada News Agency, said in an email.
The organization has claimed several such attacks in the past, in which dozens of Kenyan policemen and soldiers have died.
The Shabab has been fighting to overthrow the internationally-backed government in Mogadishu for over a decade.
They were expelled from the Somali capital in 2011 and lost most of their strongholds, but they still control large rural areas from where they carry out guerrilla operations and suicide bombings, including in Mogadishu.
Wednesday’s blast came a day after the 20th anniversary of the attacks against the US embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam in 1998, which killed 224 people and marked the emergence of Al-Qaeda on the international stage.


Three of four engines on stricken Norway cruise ship restarted

Updated 24 March 2019
0

Three of four engines on stricken Norway cruise ship restarted

  • The Viking Sky lost power and started drifting mid-afternoon Saturday about two kilometers off More og Romsdal in dangerous waters and high seas
  • The captain forced to send out a distress call and trigger a massive airlift operation

OSLO: A cruise ship that broke down in rough seas off the Norwegian coast with some 1,300 passengers and crew on board has restarted three of its four engines and will be towed to port, emergency services said Sunday.
“Three of the four engines are now working which means the boat can now make way on its own,” emergency services spokesman Per Fjeld said.
The Viking Sky lost power and started drifting mid-afternoon Saturday about two kilometers (1.2 miles) off More og Romsdal in dangerous waters and high seas, prompting the captain to send out a distress call and trigger a massive airlift operation.
The airlift was continuing in the early morning, Fjeld said.
Police said 338 of the 1,373 people on board the Viking Sky had so far been taken off by helicopter.
The vessel is making slow headway at two to three knots (4-5 kilometers) an hour off the dangerous, rocky coast and a tug will help it toward the port of Molde, about 500 kilometers northwest of Oslo, officials said.
Police said that 17 people had been taken to hospital.
The passengers are mostly British or American, they added.