Saudi Arabia’s efforts to serve pilgrims lauded

Muslim pilgrims pray outside Namira Mosque on the plains of Arafat during the annual haj pilgrimage, outside the holy city of Makkah, Saudi Arabia, in this August 31, 2017 file photo. (REUTERS)
Updated 12 August 2018
0

Saudi Arabia’s efforts to serve pilgrims lauded

  • Saudi Arabia will host 1,000 female and male pilgrims who are relatives of Palestinian martyrs this Hajj season

JEDDAH: The head of Palestinian Medical Mission, Dr. Awadh Al-Hillul, praised the efforts being made by Saudi Arabia to facilitate pilgrims.
Al-Hillul said in a statement on Sunday that the medical mission received a shipment of medicines from the Kingdom through the Embassy of the State of Palestine to the Kingdom to serve Palestinian pilgrims throughout the Hajj season.
The head of the Palestinian Medical Mission reassured that Palestinian pilgrims are well and receive the necessary care around the clock by the medical mission.
The Kingdom will also host 1,000 female and male pilgrims who are relatives of Palestinian martyrs this Hajj season.
King Salman has also ordered the hosting of 1,000 male and female pilgrims from the families of martyred Egyptian armed forces.
Egypt’s Endowments Minister Mohammed Mukhtar Jumma praised King Salman’s decision.
Talking to the Saudi Press Agency, Jumma said the royal gesture reaffirms the depth and strength of ties between Saudi Arabia and Egypt. The initiative is part of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Hajj Guests Program, annually supervised by the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Call and Guidance.
In a statement, Sheikh Dr. Abdullatif bin Abdul Aziz Al Al-Sheikh, Minister of Islamic Affairs, Call and Guidance, said that this year’s guests are coming from the continents of Asia, Africa and Europe, noting that as many as 43,547 female and male pilgrims have benefited from this program since its inception 22 years ago. 


Yemen govt to attend peace talks in Sweden, Houthis halt missile attacks

Updated 19 November 2018
0

Yemen govt to attend peace talks in Sweden, Houthis halt missile attacks

  • The Iran-backed rebels ordered the cessation of rocket and drone attacks
  • It cessation was done at the request of UN special envoy Martin Griffiths

DUBAI: The legitimate government of Yemen has agreed to participate in the peace talks set to be held in Sweden “soon,” Saudi Arabia’s King Salman said during his opening speech at the Kingdom’s Shoura Council on Monday. 

The Kings statement came hours after a senior leader of the Houthi militia said the group would stop firing missiles into Saudi Arabia for the sake of peace efforts.
The Houthi leader, Mohammed Ali Al-Houthi, said the Iran-backed rebels ordered the cessation of rocket and drone attacks on the Saudis and forces loyal to coalition member the United Arab Emirates at the request of UN special envoy Martin Griffiths.
The statement was carried by militia-controlled media early on Monday.
Griffiths announced on Friday that both sides had agreed to attend talks in Sweden “soon” aimed at ending the three-year war. The announcement followed an informal de-escalation last week around the key port city of Hodeidah.
At the time Martin Griffiths told UN Security Council members: “This is a crucial moment for Yemen.”