Jorge Jesus ready for a challenge at Al-Hilal

Jorge Jesus has been brought in as boss of the Riyadh giants to take them to the next level and win the AFC Champions League. (AFP)
Updated 18 August 2018
0

Jorge Jesus ready for a challenge at Al-Hilal

  • Portuguese boss pipped Al-Ahli to the title last season.
  • Jesus excited for the new season and ready to defend Saudi Pro League crown.

LONDON: Al-Hilal coach Jorge Jesus is looking forward to his first season in charge of the Saudi Arabia giants as the defending champions look to defend their league title in the forthcoming campaign that kicks off in two weeks’ time.
The 64-year-old joined the Riyadh club in June and is charged with leading the two-time continental champions into a new era under club president Sami Al-Jaber, appointed in April.
Working outside his native Portugal for the first time in a distinguished career, the former Benfica and Sporting Lisbon boss is happy to have made Al-Hilal his home away from home.
“I have come to a country that has a different culture in football and also in many aspects,” Jesus told Arab News ahead of last night’s Super Cup clash against Al-Ittihad in London.
“I have to get used to that culture and also the players. There were opportunities to go overseas before but this is the one that seemed most exciting and challenging and I am really looking forward to the season starting. I hope that I can do a great job and bring trophies to Al-Hilal. This is my job and this will also help the reputation of Portuguese coaches around the world.”
After time in charge of Benfica — where he won three Portuguese league titles — and Sporting Lisbon, Jesus understands that there is a similar expectation of success at the 15-time Saudi Arabia champions.
“I have worked at big clubs in my career and Al-Hilal are a big club,” Jesus said.
“This is a club with lots of fans and these are fans with a huge amount of passion and love for their team. I have seen this already whether it is waiting at the airport for new players in the middle of the night or greeting the players for the new season. They are special and it is my job to have a team that excites the fans and brings success.”
The Riyadh giants won the Saudi Pro League title in May, pipping Al-Ahli to the post thanks to victory on the final day of the season. Like a number of clubs in the country, the champions have been active in the international transfer market with each team now allowed to sign eight foreign players.
Refusing to rest on their laurels, the champions have signed Peruvian international Andre Carrillo — who is reunited with his former boss from Sporting Lisbon — former Barcelona defender Alberto Botia and, most dramatically last week, 2016 Asian Player of the Year Omar Abdulrahman.
“In football you have to keep trying to strengthen and there is no better time to do so than when you are winning trophies. We should always be looking to improve,” Jesus said.
“We have brought in some good players and I think the fans will be excited to see them in action when the season starts. It is not only us. Other teams have also been strengthening. This is good for the league and it means that standards will be getting better for everyone.
“We have a few injury concerns but overall we are  feeling good,” added Jesus.
“We had a good time in pre-season training and I have come to know the players. They have a desire to improve and to be as good as they can be. We will try to win every competition that we enter. This is what being at a big club is all about. Now we are focused on the season. We are ready and want to get off to a good start.


Spanish players union vetoes plans for La Liga game in Miami

Updated 7 min 4 sec ago
0

Spanish players union vetoes plans for La Liga game in Miami

  • Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said Sunday his club would refuse to play the game
  • Barcelona and Girona have said they are in favor of the idea of playing in Miami on January 26

MADRID: The Spanish players union (AFE) on Monday rejected plans by La Liga to stage a regular-season game in the United States, following a similar refusal by the Spanish football federation (RFEF).
An AFE statement said La Liga had not responded to questions about the planned game between Girona and Barcelona in Miami. It said that “faced with a lack of information” it opposed the game taking place.
On Friday, the RFEF expressed its formal opposition to moving the game from Girona to the United States.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has also expressed doubts about the move.
The sharp refusal by the AFE, which had already indicated concern over the health risks to players of such a trip, is a new blow for La Liga, which argues that the initiative will expand its international audience.
Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said Sunday his club would refuse to play a Spanish League game in the United States.
For their part, Barcelona and Girona have said they are in favor of the idea of playing in Miami on January 26.