Egypt charges two Coptic monks with bishop’s murder

In this May 27, 2017 file photo, a priest walks in front of St. Samuel the Confessor Monastery in Maghagha, Egypt. (AP)
Updated 19 August 2018
0

Egypt charges two Coptic monks with bishop’s murder

  • Bishop Epiphanius, 68, the head of Saint Macarius monastery, was found dead in late July
  • The bishop’s death has rocked the Coptic Church in Egypt

CAIRO: Egyptian prosecutors on Sunday charged two Coptic monks with murdering a bishop at a desert monastery, in a high-profile case that has shaken the Christian community in the country.
Bishop Epiphanius, 68, the head of Saint Macarius monastery in Wadi el-Natrun, was found dead with a head wound in late July.
Prosecutors accuse monks Wael Al-Saad and Remon Resmi of agreeing to kill the senior cleric over unspecified “differences,” a statement from the attorney general’s office said.
Saad confessed to lying in wait for the bishop as he headed for prayers before hitting him over the head with a metal pipe while Resmi watched on, the statement said.
Prosecutors referred the two monks to trial but no date has been set for the case to be heard.
After the killing Saad, known by his ecclesiastical name Isaiah, was expelled from the Church and attempted to commit suicide.
The bishop’s death has rocked the Coptic Church in Egypt, the largest Christian community in the Middle East.
Following the incident, the Church announced a series of restrictive measures related to the activities of monks.
It said it was stopping accepting new monks for a year and gave current monks a month to disable all of their social media accounts.
Coptic Orthodox Pope Tawadros II also closed his official Facebook page.
The moves pointed to the existence of rifts within the church that some have tied to the bishop’s murder.
Church authorities have remained largely silent on the matter.
Coptic Christians make up about 10 percent of Egypt’s predominantly Sunni Muslim population of some 100 million.


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.