Houthis ‘putting pressure’ on UN aid organizations in Yemen

1 / 6
The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen accused the UN of “biased” reports on air strikes that allegedly killed 26 children in rebel-held parts of the country. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
2 / 6
The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen accused the UN of “biased” reports on air strikes that allegedly killed 26 children in rebel-held parts of the country. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
3 / 6
The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen accused the UN of “biased” reports on air strikes that allegedly killed 26 children in rebel-held parts of the country. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
4 / 6
The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen accused the UN of “biased” reports on air strikes that allegedly killed 26 children in rebel-held parts of the country. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
5 / 6
The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen accused the UN of “biased” reports on air strikes that allegedly killed 26 children in rebel-held parts of the country. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
6 / 6
The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen accused the UN of “biased” reports on air strikes that allegedly killed 26 children in rebel-held parts of the country. (AN Photo/Basheer Saleh)
Updated 27 August 2018
0

Houthis ‘putting pressure’ on UN aid organizations in Yemen

  • Al-Maliki urges UN bodies not to remain silent over Houthi violations
  • Saudi air defenses shoot down another missile fired toward Jazan

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition on Monday accused the Houthi militia of putting “pressures” on UN humanitarian organizations operating in Yemen.
Spokesman Col Turki Al-Maliki called on them not to remain silent on abuses committed by the the Iran-backed militants.
“We call on UN organizations in Yemen to be neutral and not tolerate violations,” he said, at e news conference in Riyadh.
The coalition is fighting in support of forces loyal to the internationally recognized government against the Houthis, which seized the capital Sanaa in 2014.
The UN, which has several of its aid agencies operating in the country, has called peace talks for next month.
But Al-Maliki said the coalition was surprised by some of the statements made by UN officials, who he said have taken wrong stances based on “false allegations.”
He referred to an attack on a fish market and hospital in Hodeidah earlier this month, which the coalition said was carried out by the Houthis. At least 55 civilians were killed and 170 injured.
Al-Maliki also said the UN failed to respond to accusations that the Houthis had seized control of warehouses used by an international aid organization. 
He said Yemen’s humanitarian ports are operating at full capacity and that air, land and sea permits are granted continuously, especially to aid relief vessels.
The Houthis have fired eight ballistic missiles toward Saudi Arabia in recent days, five of which were during the Hajj pilgrimage. 

On Monday, another ballistic missile was launched by the Houthis from Saada province in Yemen toward Jazan, in Saudi Arabia. The Royal Saudi Air Defense managed to intercept the missile and no injuries were reported, Al Maliki said. 

Al-Maliki said the Houthis are using prisons to train militants and schools and hospitals for military purposes.
“We continue to neutralize ballistic missile launchpads belonging to the militias,” Al-Maliki said. 
Last week the coalition destroyed a SAM-6 air defense system operated by the Houthi militias in Sanaa.
He also said the Yemeni national army has made a major advance in the province of Al-Bayda.


Libya rivals clash south of capital, causing blackouts

Updated 18 September 2018
0

Libya rivals clash south of capital, causing blackouts

  • Tuesday morning’s clashes centered on the main road to Tripoli’s long-closed international airport
  • Libya’s National Electricity Company said its network had been damaged, causing a total blackout across the country

TRIPOLI: New clashes flared between rival militias south of Libya’s capital Tripoli on Tuesday, causing widespread power outages, the national electricity firm said.
The fighting underscored the fragility of a United Nations-backed cease-fire reached earlier this month after days of deadly violence between armed groups in the capital, beset by turmoil since the fall of dictator Muammar Qaddafi in 2011.
Tuesday morning’s clashes centered on the main road to Tripoli’s long-closed international airport, according to witnesses including an AFP journalist.
Libya’s National Electricity Company said its network had been damaged, causing a total blackout across the North African nation’s south and west.
Fighting which broke out late last month killed at least 63 people and wounded 159 others — mostly civilians — before the cease-fire came into effect on September 4.
Last week, the capital’s only working airport came under rocket fire just days after reopening following the truce.
Mitiga International Airport, located in a former military base that includes a prison, is currently controlled by the Special Deterrence Forces, a Salafist militia which serves as Tripoli’s police force and has been involved in clashes around the capital.
Interior Minister Abdessalam Ashour said Monday that a “regular force” would be tasked with securing the airport.
UN envoy Ghassan Salame later reported 14 cease-fire violations around Tripoli, but sought to play them down, saying the deal had been “generally respected.”
Tripoli’s main airport has been out of action since it was severely damaged by similar clashes in 2014.
Since Qaddafi’s fall in 2011, oil-rich Libya has been rocked by violence between dozens of armed groups vying for control of its cities and vast oil resources.
A UN-brokered agreement signed in Morocco in December 2015 established the Government of National Accord (GNA) in a bid to ease the chaos.
But deep divisions remain between the GNA and rivals including military strongman Khalifa Haftar, who is based in eastern Libya and backs a competing authority.
The GNA last week announced a series of measures to secure the capital and curb the influence of militias over state institutions and banks.