Saudi coalition refutes ‘biased’ and ‘inaccurate’ UN Yemen report

The Arab coalition said some aspects of the report were incorrect and biased. (SPA)
Updated 30 August 2018
0

Saudi coalition refutes ‘biased’ and ‘inaccurate’ UN Yemen report

  • Report ignored the role of Houthis in starting the conflict and their Iran backers
  • UN allegations based on 'misleading reports of some NGOs and media publications'

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition on Wednesday refuted a UN report on Yemen that made a series of accusations against the alliance.

In a strongly worded statement, the coalition, which supports forces loyal to the internationally recognized government, rejected the claim that it did not provide information requested by the UN.

The coalition dismissed as “false” and “inaccurate” claims in the report that its forces were obstructing humanitarian access to civilians in the country.

The statement also said the report, which was published on Tuesday, disregarded the humanitarian role played by the coalition countries in Yemen, including recent donations from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait amounting to $1.8 billion. 

The coalition also accused the panel of experts who drafted the report of bias and ignoring the fact that the conflict started after the Houthi militia seized control of the capital Sanaa in a “coup” in 2014.

The statement said the report also ignored the role played by Iran in supporting the Houthis.

“The coalition countries completely disagree with all the report’s conclusion,” the statement said. “The report had many methodological fallacies, some regarding the description of the conflict’s facts, which lacked objectivity.” 

The coalition said the report’s false allegations that its forces had targeted civilians “were based on misleading reports of some NGOs and media publications.”

“These allegations were included in the report although the coalition countries had already refuted them during their meetings with the UN group of experts,” the statement said.

“The coalition affirms that the group rushed while objectively assessing the human rights situation in Yemen, as well as the inaccuracies in its conclusions and recommendations.”


At least 8 killed, 20 wounded in attack on military parade in southwest Iran

Updated 18 min 35 sec ago
0

At least 8 killed, 20 wounded in attack on military parade in southwest Iran

  • Paramedics could be seen helping someone in military fatigues laying on the ground
  • Saturday's attack comes after a coordinated June 7, 2017 Daesh assault on parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran

TEHRAN: Gunmen attacked a military parade in the southwest Iranian city of Ahvaz on Saturday, killing at least 8 members of the elite Revolutionary Guard and wounding 20 people, state media said.
The state-run IRNA news agency reported that the wounded included a woman and a child but did not elaborate.

The report described the assailants as "Takifiri gunmen," a term previously used to describe Daesh.

The semi-official Fars news agency, which is close to the elite Revolutionary Guard, said two gunmen on a motorcycle wearing khaki uniforms carried out the attack.

State television showed images of the immediate aftermath. In it, paramedics could be seen helping someone in military fatigues laying on the ground. Other armed security personnel shouted at each other in front of what appeared to be a viewing stand for the parade.

The semi-official ISNA news agency published photographs of the attack's aftermath, with bloodied troops in dress uniforms helping each other walk away. The attack struck on Ahvaz's Quds, or Jerusalem, Boulevard.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Saturday's attack comes after a coordinated June 7, 2017 Dash assault on parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran. That attack had at that point been the only one by the extremists inside of Iran, which has been deeply involved in the wars in Iraq and Syria where the militants once held vast territory.

At least 18 people were killed and more than 50 wounded in the 2017 attack that saw gunmen carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles and explosives storm the parliament complex where a legislative session had been in progress, starting an hours-long siege. Meanwhile, gunmen and suicide bombers also struck outside Khomeini's mausoleum on Tehran's southern outskirts. Khomeini led the 1979 Islamic Revolution that toppled the Western-backed shah to become Iran's first supreme leader until his death in 1989.

Ahvaz is the capital of Iran's oil-rich Khuzestan province. The province in the past has seen Arab separatists attack oil pipelines.

The assault shocked Tehran, which largely has avoided militant attacks in the decades after the tumult surrounding the Islamic Revolution.