Yemeni minister praises Saudi relief partnership

1 / 3
Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, general supervisor of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), holds talks with Yemen’s Minister of Human Rights, Mohammed Askar, in Riyadh. (SPA)
2 / 3
Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, general supervisor of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), holds talks with Yemen’s Minister of Human Rights, Mohammed Askar, in Riyadh. (SPA)
3 / 3
Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, general supervisor of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), holds talks with Yemen’s Minister of Human Rights, Mohammed Askar, in Riyadh. (SPA)
Updated 30 August 2018
0

Yemeni minister praises Saudi relief partnership

JEDDAH: Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, general supervisor of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), held talks with Yemen’s Minister of Human Rights, Mohammed Askar, on Thursday on relief and humanitarian work provided by KSRelief in Yemen, with 274 projects now in place across the country.
During the meeting In Riyadh, the humanitarian and human rights situation in Yemen were also discussed, including violations committed by the Houthi militias against civilians, such as the bombing of water wells and residential neighborhoods, killing and injuring hundreds of civilians.
The recruitment of children for use as human shields was also condemned.
Al-Rabeeah said KSRelief is keen to cooperate with Yemen’s Ministry of Human Rights to ease the suffering of the Yemeni people and implement programs to support the most affected groups in the country.
“Our work is focused on programs to protect women and children, and rehabilitate children recruited by the Houthi militias.”
Al-Rabeeah said the humanitarian role of KSRelief proves that the Arab coalition is not only a military but also a humanitarian partnership that has been providing food, medicine and clothing to all Yemeni regions for more than three years.
Askar praised the relationship between KSRelief and the ministry, and said their joint programs will have a positive impact on the lives of Yemeni people.
In an earlier interview with Arab News, Askar said: “Iran has succeeded in turning the Houthis into a military tool that threatens international peace and security, especially in the navigational corridors of Yemen such as Bab Al-Mandab and adjoining waters.
“Iran has poured funds and arms in a fervent bid to expand their hegemony in the region. The Iranian intransigence has kept the war raging, which has shattered the lives of Yemenis,” he said.
On Thursday, Al-Rabeeah also met with Saudi Ambassador to Pakistan, Nawaf bin Said Al-Malki to discuss humanitarian affairs.
Al-Malki expressed his admiration for the center’s achievements and humanitarian and relief services, particularly its educational, health and housing projects being implemented in Punjab, Khyber Pakhtun and Balochistan in Pakistan.
KSRelief recently distributed 25 tons of food baskets in the villages of Al-Ja’ada, Al-Fayed, Deir and Bani Fadil of Midi and Hiran directorates in Hajjah governorate, helping 1,980 people.
BACKGROUND
Since its establishment, KSRelief has launched projects worth $70 million in Yemen. The projects aim to help the country amid devastation caused by the Houthi militia.
Earlier, Mohammed Al-Jabir, Saudi ambassador to Yemen, said that the Kingdom’s assistance to Yemen totaled about $10.96 billion.
A report by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs last month showed Saudi Arabia topped donor states to the 2018 UN Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan by donating $530.4 million out of a total of $1.54 billion.
About 2 million Yemenis working in the Kingdom send more than $10 million in remittances to their families in Yemen.
Meanwhile, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Major General Ahmed Al-Shahri, met on Thursday with his Yemeni counterpart, General Taher Al-Aqeeli, in Marib to discuss military developments and the advances of the Yemeni National Army, with the support of the Arab coalition, against the Houthis.
Major General Al-Aqeeli assured that the Arab coalition, led by Saudi Arabia, would continue to support the Yemeni people and its armed forces in battling the militia.
During the meeting, they discussed the mechanisms of cooperation and means of enhancing them.
The two commanders then visited the fighting fronts of the seventh military zone in Nham, east of Sanaa.
Maj. Gen. Al-Shahri conveyed the blessings of King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the Commander of the Joint Forces, on the great victories achieved by the Yemeni National Army in Saada, Hajja, Al-Bayda and on various fronts.


Ghosn sues Nissan and Mitsubishi for breach of contract: report

Updated 16 min 57 sec ago
0

Ghosn sues Nissan and Mitsubishi for breach of contract: report

  • Ghosn is seeking up to $16.8 millions in damages
  • He spent over 100 days jailed in Japan over financial misconduct trials
PARIS: Former auto titan Carlos Ghosn, currently under house arrest in Tokyo, is suing Nissan and Mitsubishi in a Dutch court for “improper termination” of his contract, French newspaper Le Figaro reported Wednesday.
Ghosn is accusing the Japanese manufacturers of breaching his contract as an employee of NMBV, their joint subsidiary based in the Netherlands, and seeking up to $16.8 million in damages, it said.
The big-spending former chief of both Renault and its Japanese partner Nissan is awaiting trial in Japan on charges of financial misconduct.
He was kept behind bars for over 100 days before being granted bail and sacked from all his management roles.
Ghosn is accused of under-reporting millions of dollars in income at Nissan and of using company funds for personal expenses — charges he denies.
His lawyers argue that while Ghosn resigned from Renault-Nissan BV (RNBV), he had not done so from NMBV and “the breach of contract” was unwarranted, Le Figaro said.
Nissan and Mitsubishi argue that Ghosn’s contract was invalid as it would not have been submitted to NMBV’s board, according to the daily.
NMBV had thanked Ghosn after a meeting of his board of directors on March 12, the same day as the announcement of its dissolution.
Ghosn’s spokesperson and his lawyer both declined to comment when contacted by AFP.
Le Figaro said the manufacturers were seeking to recover some $8.79 million paid to Ghosn by NMBV between April and November 2018.
Renault announced in early June it was considering taking action against its former boss after it identified $12.36 million of “questionable expenses” linked to Ghosn at RNBV.
The 65-year-old Ghosn was arrested in Japan in November as he stepped off his private jet at Tokyo airport.
His dramatic downfall stunned the business world and laid bare tensions in the alliance between Renault, Nissan and their smaller Japanese partner Mitsubishi.
Ghosn has not been charged in connection with his activities at NMBV.