India battle to small lead over England at Southampton

India's Virat Kohli gestures at the end of play at Southampton after India finished the day with a small lead over England. (Action Images via Reuters)
Updated 31 August 2018
0

India battle to small lead over England at Southampton

SOUTHAMPTON: England were six without loss in their second innings, a deficit of 21 runs, at stumps on the second day of the fourth Test against India at Southampton on Friday.
Alastair Cook was two not out and Keaton Jennings four not out for the hosts.
Earlier, India were dismissed for 273 in reply to England’s first-innings 246, with Cheteshwar Pujara 132 not out.
It was a steadying performance after India had faltered halfway through the day, and one which leaves the crucial fourth Test in the balance.
Moeen Ali took five for 63 — a second successive five-wicket innings haul in a Test against India at Southampton for the off-spinner following his six for 67 in 2014.
England lead this five-match series 2-1, with this and the final Test left to play.


Lewis Hamilton tells rivals ‘catch me if you can’

Updated 20 February 2019
0

Lewis Hamilton tells rivals ‘catch me if you can’

  • Five-time world champion feeling confident of a sixth crown ahead of new season.
  • Pre-season testing going well in Barcelona.

BARCELONA: Lewis Hamilton has warned his rivals they had better get ready to catch his dust as he is feeling “better than ever” ahead of the season.
The 34-year-old Briton enjoyed a near flawless run to secure his fifth drivers’ title last year. He won 11 of the 21 races to beat Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel with two races to spare, and he expects the Italian marque to once again keep him on his toes.
“Ferrari are very strong,” Hamilton said in Barcelona on the third day of pre-season testing.
“It appears they have a better package than last year, which means it will be a bigger challenge for us.
“In the last few years, Ferrari has looked good from the very beginning so that’s to be expected.”
But he said it would be a mistake to draw any hard and fast conclusions from the evidence thrown up by testing.
“We’ll have a better idea I guess this time next week where we stand but still then we won’t know what fuel loads everybody is on and who is showing their cars and who isn’t.”
Hamilton, with a new two-year deal that will earn him £40 million ($52 million) a season, is buzzing after the winter recess.
“I feel in the best shape that I’ve been in,” he assured his fans, as he embarks on his quest for a sixth championship and record sixth consecutive constructors’ crown for Mercedes.
On a sixth title he shrugged: “I am not even focusing on that. It’s a new season, a new year, a new chapter and we have to approach like it’s our first.
“We’re going for number one, that’s how I approach it.
“But it’s not something that I allow my peers to talk about. It’s not what we are here for to focus on that number.”
He dismissed out of hand any notion of complacency setting in at his all-conquering team.
“We are always driven to do something new and to break boundaries and do stuff that no one else has done before but we are fully aware of the work that it will take to deliver something like that and it’s by no means like ‘yeah we are going for the sixth’ like it’s a relaxed thing.
“It’s not like that.”
Hamilton’s bid for title number six begins at the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 17.