Yemenis affected by coalition military operations receive aid

People walk in a market at the old quarter of Sanaa, in this file photo. (REUTERS)
Updated 01 September 2018

Yemenis affected by coalition military operations receive aid

  • The Arab coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 to back the country’s internationally recognized government

JEDDAH: The Joint Committee for the Granting of Voluntary Assistance to Victims Affected in Yemen and the National Commission to investigate Alleged Violations to Human Rights approved assistance for people affected by the coalition’s military operations in Yemen.
The Foreign Ministry said in a press conference that the joint committee has finished studying several cases involving people affected by the coalition’s military operations.
The ministry said that in the next two days a specialist team from the joint committee will begin assisting affected people whose cases have been studied by the national committee.
The ministry stressed the Yemeni government’s concern to preserve civilians’ safety, avoid damage in all Yemeni areas and comply with the rules and laws of war.
The Foreign Ministry extended Yemen’s appreciation for the Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia, saying it had a big role in helping the legitimate government in Yemen and in defending the country and people under the leadership of Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi.
“In the context of the constant cooperation and coordination under the umbrella of the coalition to support the legitimacy in Yemen, the Yemeni government, represented by the Foreign Ministry, followed up on the meeting of Joint Committee for the Granting of Voluntary Assistance to Victims Affected in Yemen and the National Commission to investigate Alleged Violations to Human Rights, held at the headquarters of the Coalition Forces to Support the Legitimacy in Yemen. During the meeting, it was agreed on the mechanism of granting aid to people affected by the military operations of the coalition in Yemen,” the ministry said.
The Arab coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015 to back the country’s internationally recognized government.


2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

Updated 26 August 2019

2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, the ninth hit in a span of 24 hours, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said .

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down in Yemeni airspace by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said.