Coalition accepts results of JIAT investigation, pledges to compensate victims

Spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the coalition is coordinating with relevant authorities to obtain the names and identities of the families of the victims and provide them with compensation. (File photo / AFP)
Updated 03 September 2018
0

Coalition accepts results of JIAT investigation, pledges to compensate victims

JEDDAH: The Arab Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen said it accepts the results of the investigation of the Joint Incident Assessment Team (JIAT) following an attack on a bus last month that killed dozens.

Spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said the coalition is coordinating with the local hospital in the Dahyan area in Saada province and other relevant authorities to obtain the names and identities of the families of the victims and provide them with the necessary compensation.

He also said that the  coalition is working on revising and developing its rules of engagement after the attack killed at least 29 children, according to the Red Cross and injured dozens more.

Al-Maliki confirmed that all Yemeni ports are fully operational and the coalition is working to provide the necessary facilities for the passage of aid ships.

However, he said that the Iranian-backed Houthi militia continue to threaten maritime navigation in the Bab Al-Mandab Strait and the Red Sea.

Col. Al-Maliki added that the coalition “welcomes the position of the Yemeni government" in rejecting a UN report published last week that made a series of accusations against the alliance.

The coalition also rejected the report because it contained inaccuracies and false information, the spokesman said.

Meanwhile, Al-Maliki said the Yemen National Army forces continued to advance on various fronts.


WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange charged in the US

Updated 5 min 12 sec ago
0

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange charged in the US

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who was behind a massive dump of classified US documents in 2010, has been charged in the United States, WikiLeaks said Thursday.

Prosecutors revealed the existence of the sealed indictment inadvertently in a court filing in an unrelated case, WikiLeaks said.

The exact nature of the charges against Assange was not immediately known.

“SCOOP: US Department of Justice ‘accidentally’ reveals existence of sealed charges (or a draft for them) against WikiLeaks’ publisher Julian Assange in apparent cut-and-paste error in an unrelated case also at the Eastern District of Virginia,” Wikileaks wrote on Twitter.

The still unsealed charges against Assange were disclosed by Assistant US Attorney Kellen Dwyer as she made a filing in the unrelated case and urged a judge to keep that filing sealed.

Dwyer wrote, “due to the sophistication of the defendant and the publicity surrounding the case, no other procedure is likely to keep confidential the fact that Assange has been charged,” according to The Washington Post.

Later, Dwyer wrote the charges would “need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested.”

US media were alerted late Thursday to the inadvertent disclosure thanks to a tweet from Seamus Hughes, deputy director of the Program on Extremism at George Washington University. He is known to follow court filings closely.