Emirates Airlines denies plane quarantined in New York flew through Saudi Arabia

Emergency response crews gather outside Emirates flight EK203 at JFK International Airport in New York. (AP Photo)
Updated 05 September 2018
0

Emirates Airlines denies plane quarantined in New York flew through Saudi Arabia

  • Emirates said about 10 passengers on board flight EK203 from Dubai to New York were taken ill
  • Officials from the Port Authority Police Department and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were on scene

NEW YORK: Emirates airlines has denied that a flight from Dubai, which was quarantined at in New York did not make a stop in Saudi Arabia.

False reports had claimed that the flight had stopped in the Kingdom. 

In a statement to CNN, the airline said that the flight did not fly over or make a stop in the Kingdom.

Emirates flight 203, a double-deck Airbus A388 carrying about 500 passengers, landed shortly after 9 a.m. EDT (1300 GMT), according to an airline spokeswoman.
The spokeswoman said 10 passengers fell ill on the flight from Dubai to New York. New York media outlets had earlier put the number at about 100 passengers.

“Emirates can confirm that about 10 passengers on board flight EK203 from Dubai to New York were taken ill,” the spokeswoman said. “On arrival at JFK, as a precaution, they were immediately checked by local health authorities and those needing medical attention will be attended to.” 

A later statement from the airline said three passengers and seven crew were transferred to hospital for medical care and that all passangers had disembarked from the aircraft.

Officials from the Port Authority Police Department and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had attended the scene, according to news station WNBC. The mayor’s office also did not respond to requests for comment.
Larry Cohen, who identified himself as one of the passengers aboard the plane, uploaded photos on Twitter showing dozens of police and emergency vehicles waiting outside the plane on the tarmac.
“All we have been told is that there are some sick passengers and that we need to remain on board,” Cohen told Reuters via Twitter messaging.


Swiss canton becomes second to ban burqas in public

Updated 23 min 47 sec ago
0

Swiss canton becomes second to ban burqas in public

  • Full-face coverings such as niqabs and burqas are a polarizing issue across Europe
  • The clothing has already been banned in France and Denmark

ZURICH: Voters in St. Gallen on Sunday approved by a two-thirds majority a ban on facial coverings such as the burqa, becoming the second Swiss canton to do so.
Full-face coverings such as niqabs and burqas are a polarizing issue across Europe, with some arguing that they symbolize discrimination against women and should be outlawed. The clothing has already been banned in France and Denmark.
Under the Swiss system of direct democracy, voters in the northeastern canton demanded tightening the law to punish those who cover their faces in public and thus “threaten or endanger public security or religious or social peace.”
The regional government, which had opposed the measure, now has to implement the result of the vote, which drew turnout of around 36 percent.
Switzerland’s largest Islamic organization, the Islamic Central Council, recommended women continue to cover their faces. It said it would closely monitor the implementation of the ban and consider legal action if necessary.
The Swiss federal government in June opposed a grassroots campaign for a nationwide ban on facial coverings.
The Swiss cabinet said individual cantons should decide on the matter, but it will nevertheless go to a nationwide vote after activists last year collected more than the required 100,000 signatures to trigger a referendum.
Two-thirds of Switzerland’s 8.5 million residents identify as Christians. But its Muslim population has risen to 5 percent, largely because of immigrants from former Yugoslavia.
One Swiss canton, Italian-speaking Ticino, already has a similar ban, while two others have rejected it.